pullied 03 cobra, somethin doesn't seem right

good_times44

Established Member
OK, for starters this was my second time at the track, i have a 2.93 upper, 4 piece idlers, K&N CAI, steeda tri ax, nitto 315 35's @28 psi. I made a few passes and my best time was 12.5 at 109mph, 1.98 60ft, 8.1 1/8mile. I think im trapping way low. A few of my other passes I had 111mph trap, but i was thinking i should be in the area of 113 to 116 and running lower et's than a 12.5, Im also running the predator pulley tune, 91 octane with "torqo" octane booster. Can anyone lead me in the right direction here? any input and help is greatly appreciated

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
first and foremost.....if your talking about the predator "canned" tune. Lose that shit, and get a real custom tune.
Second, you could probably lose some air out the tires. I run around 15lbs at the track.
If I remeber correctly I was running 12.5-12.6 with about a 109mph-111mph, all with 2.1 and 2.0 60ft's tho.

good_times44

Established Member
Yea its the canned tune, Ive emailed amazon racing about my custom tune a few times with no reply, so thats supposed to be my tune in the making, a custom tune makes a huge difference then?, im also sporting the stock exhaust which will soon change.

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
I believe you're tire pressures could stand to be lower also. If I remember correctly most people run 18 psi or less. Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to spread misinformation.

30th T/A

Established Member
just for comparison....my buddy got a preadator tune....not dyno tuned and he just ran his 04 cobra yesterday in ball sac saggin 90 degree heat and went 11.8@120 1.69 60' with nitto 315s, 2.8 pulley, x pipe, big FMIC, accufab TB, magnaflow catback and xpipe. i was impressed.

t4c7824

TZODD
Established Member
ok my car does 13.4 and 13.5 @ 107 and 106 mph. I have a convertable with only 2.8 pulley and predator palm tuner tune. Also have stock exhaust and tires. So does this mean I should be faster than 13.4 ? I have not dynoed my car to see if there is a power loss.

ralphy1798

Established Member
Stock exhaust and canned tune...

I think the stock exhaust is corking your car beyond belief with that pulley on there!!! And with 91 octane, i would get a custom tune for sure!!! Just for your motor's safety!

I was trapping 109mph stock, you should be at 115 with your setup once you free up the exhaust. I am not kidding you at how restrictive the exhaust and intake are on these things...

Jeff

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
t4c7824 said:
ok my car does 13.4 and 13.5 @ 107 and 106 mph. I have a convertable with only 2.8 pulley and predator palm tuner tune. Also have stock exhaust and tires. So does this mean I should be faster than 13.4 ? I have not dynoed my car to see if there is a power loss.

Where is Erie, TX? If you are stationed at Fort Hood and run at Temple Academy Dragway "little river" that is your problem that track sucksssss.

good_times44

Established Member
Hey thanks for the input guys, I need a exhaust so bad, it feels and sounds so restrictive, so you think i would be trapping 115mph or so in the 1/4 with a aftermarket exhaust... :rockon:

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
well 03=04 Cobra have the most restricitive exhaust EVER. They had to be toned down for Califoria Drive by-test because of the blower whine.

Yes you do need an exhaust very bad, and you will probly see a 40-50 rwhp jump with a catback and midpipe, considering you are pullied.. that's your other problem, you need a tune. 12.5 at 109 is what STOCK 03 Terminators run..even with a stock exhaust, pulley and tune should have you knocking on 11's with tires.. get a tune and exhaust, watch those time drop like a mother****er..

You should be into the 11's.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
t4c7824 said:

You should be in the 12's stock. SO yes.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
BmoseleyINC said:
well 03=04 Cobra have the most restricitive exhaust EVER. They had to be toned down for Califoria Drive by-test because of the blower whine.

Yes you do need an exhaust very bad, and you will probly see a 40-50 rwhp jump with a catback and midpipe, considering you are pullied.. that's your other problem, you need a tune. 12.5 at 109 is what STOCK 03 Terminators run..even with a stock exhaust, pulley and tune should have you knocking on 11's with tires.. get a tune and exhaust, watch those time drop like a mother****er..

You should be into the 11's.

yes i agree... If you get a pulley you need a intake and exhaust or it doesnt do much.. just like if you get exhaust and not a intake it wont do much...

on these cars one thing doesnt do much but when you have another mod that complements it its crazy... with just intake, x pipe, and cat back I was taking z06s from a roll and never lost to a stock one.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
also, running a 91 octane tune, with higher octane gas than 91 will actually hurt your performance. The octane booster will make your fuel burn slower, like race gas, and will actually make you lose hp unless you have a tune with increased timing for the race gas.

Also, I just ran the times in my sig, with almost the same mods, plus exhaust. You aren't that far behind me. This was my 6th time ever to the track. I have about 40 passes total. Fix your tune and exhaust and learn to powershift and your trap will go way up. Learn to launch 1.8 60 ft's and your times will get even better and you'll be where you want to be. It takes lots of practice.

ralphy1798

Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
also, running a 91 octane tune, with higher octane gas than 91 will actually hurt your performance. The octane booster will make your fuel burn slower, like race gas, and will actually make you lose hp unless you have a tune with increased timing for the race gas.

Also, I just ran the times in my sig, with almost the same mods, plus exhaust. You aren't that far behind me. This was my 6th time ever to the track. I have about 40 passes total. Fix your tune and exhaust and learn to powershift and your trap will go way up. Learn to launch 1.8 60 ft's and your times will get even better and you'll be where you want to be. It takes lots of practice.

Not sure running 93 on a 91 tune will hurt anything... running 100octane on a 91 tune will give decreased performance, but i dont think 2 octane is big enough of a difference... it only means ~2-3* of timing.

Jeff

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
ralphy1798 said:
Not sure running 93 on a 91 tune will hurt anything... running 100octane on a 91 tune will give decreased performance, but i dont think 2 octane is big enough of a difference... it only means ~2-3* of timing.

Jeff

Right, 2 octane probably isn't huge, but who knows how much octane booster he was running.

foofinator

Engineer/Lawyer
Established Member
Even the stock midpipe was killing me on the street and on the dyno. It opened up a good 10 HP.

The exhaust and tune are definately the factors here. Don't feel down man, I was in the same boat.

Having a restrictive intake, exhaust, or a bad tune.. they all will kill you more than you could ever realize. Once I put my catless X on, my JLT CAI and got HPP to fix my tune up.. my car was a whole new beast.

BaD$NaKe99

Established Member
Ran a 12.5 at 108 in a 03 with bassani exhaust on kuhmo mx's in vegas(thats it). Made 420rwhp and 430rwhp with the jlt

Mach1Rufus

my times

i went to the track a couple weeks back with my bro. i have an 04 mach with only a SLP catback and K&N drop in. my bro has an 04 cobra with only an SLP catback, we both had stock tires. well on our very first pass of the night together he blew out his rear end. i made it down the track and recorded a 14.1 @105 mph, with a 2.4 60ft now i know a mach can do better than this but what you guys think? and since then my bros snake had a whole new rear end, suspension, and driveshaft put in. I WARNED HIM BEFORE THE PASS ABOUT THE WHEEL HOP, but what do older bros know? :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread