Purchasing turbo cobra, what should I be looking for?

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a turbo cobra, what are some things I should be looking for to ensure I'm getting a quality / well put together car? Are there specific things to look for on a turbo cobra? I have a supercharged 98 right now, so no experience with the turbo 03/04 world!

Thanks in advance

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Other than the usual suspects, leaks. Take the air filter off and downpipe, look for oil in the turbine and compressor, check for forward and aft shaft play. Exhaust leaks, oil leaks. Drive the car, surging, idle issues? Engine cooling seem good once hot? Ask who tuned it, turbo cars require a certain finesse. Did I mention leaks?

Avoid eBay turbo crap, on3, etc. Can be prone to quality issues.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Do not let them start the car warm. Make sure it is ice cold when you start it. Look for puffs of smoke on startup, this can be seals leaking or a few other items. Make sure the turbo is quality. If they say "it needs tuned" run. Listen/look for clunks/rubbing with the kit/suspension. Many people throw the cheapest coil overs and k members on as possible and they clunk and rub badly. Make sure the fuel system is up to the task. I'm sure I will think of more later.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Do not let them start the car warm. Make sure it is ice cold when you start it. Look for puffs of smoke on startup, this can be seals leaking or a few other items. Make sure the turbo is quality. If they say "it needs tuned" run. Listen/look for clunks/rubbing with the kit/suspension. Many people throw the cheapest coil overs and k members on as possible and they clunk and rub badly. Make sure the fuel system is up to the task. I'm sure I will think of more later.

Alright great thanks for the advice, yeah "needs a tune" scares me lol.
What are quality turbos specifically?

SVTCobra60

Established Member
Other than the usual suspects, leaks. Take the air filter off and downpipe, look for oil in the turbine and compressor, check for forward and aft shaft play. Exhaust leaks, oil leaks. Drive the car, surging, idle issues? Engine cooling seem good once hot? Ask who tuned it, turbo cars require a certain finesse. Did I mention leaks?

Avoid eBay turbo crap, on3, etc. Can be prone to quality issues.

Lmao, okay thanks I'll keep those in mind. What are some good turbo brands to look for? Also any other brands to avoid?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Just make sure they are a name brand. Precision, Borg, Turbonetics, garretts. Don't buy china turbo's/master powers/on3 turbos.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
One thing I like to have and what I keep track of is a complete detailed list of every part in the car. What fuel pumps/hat/lines & sizes? What MAF/Injectors. What are the engine particulars like oil pump, bearing type, crank/rods/pistons? What suspension/chassis mods? What gears? Make sure it includes the xcal3 or whatever else was used to input the tune.

SVTCobra60

Established Member
One thing I like to have and what I keep track of is a complete detailed list of every part in the car. What fuel pumps/hat/lines & sizes? What MAF/Injectors. What are the engine particulars like oil pump, bearing type, crank/rods/pistons? What suspension/chassis mods? What gears? Make sure it includes the xcal3 or whatever else was used to input the tune.

Great points thanks for that. I like when I see someone who knows every part in the car, definitely instills a bit more trust.

Users who are viewing this thread