Pure Stock 2012 5.0 VMP Stage-2 Results

yngrshr

Established Member
It is. I'm thinking of lowering the shift point to around 6600 or so (if you can even go that low) with the SCT due to fear about the oil pump gears above 7000 RPMs w/ the blower. So I was curious if you had lowered yours, mainly. I have no idea how much the RPMs can be lowered on the SCT.

mikengail

Established Member
It is. I'm thinking of lowering the shift point to around 6600 or so (if you can even go that low) with the SCT due to fear about the oil pump gears above 7000 RPMs w/ the blower. So I was curious if you had lowered yours, mainly. I have no idea how much the RPMs can be lowered on the SCT.

No idea myself either. I also wasn't aware that the oil pump gears can be a concern in blown Coyotes above 7k rpm. Something else to research. I don't track my car and only WOT a gear or two every now and then, usually just 2-3 shifts and even more rarely a 3-4 shift...

yngrshr

Established Member
No idea myself either. I also wasn't aware that the oil pump gears can be a concern in blown Coyotes above 7k rpm. Something else to research. I don't track my car and only WOT a gear or two every now and then, usually just 2-3 shifts and even more rarely a 3-4 shift...

Our (you, me, and anyone under 600 RWHP or so) main enemy is going to be the OPGs. That's what will go wrong and it usually happens at a high RPM. It's not necessarily the HP that kills them, but spinning at a high RPM along with high HP.

At least from what I gather.

I think I am definitely going to try and limit the RPMs to around 6600. I should be able to do that via the other options on the SCT (VMP leaves that open so you can **** with them a bit). I just don't know how low I can set the RPMs to since I haven't messed with them yet.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
My tuner broke his pump gears after 2 years of hard abuse & 680 rwhp... I was told to keep it around 600whp & it should be fine, 650 tops. Mine shifts around 7200 to 7400rpm...

chefron50

Established Member
vmp 2.3

i have a 2013 boss,justin did the install and dyno tune at his shop.I'm using his 85mm pulley,47# injectors and street tune,600rwhp and 530 # of torque in hot,humid fl. about 10# of boost.

mikengail

Established Member
Well, finally got her on the track last weekend. Mostly just trying to figure out how to launch and getting used to the local track. Best result was 12.4 @ 117. My reaction time was good at .07, but my 2.4 60' was laughable. Stock tires at normal pressures and drove around the burnout area. The best way that I found was to nurse it off the line and gradually but still quickly go to the floor, before it shifted out of 1st. The only time I nailed it off the line, she actually launched fairly well, but the spinning really got going in 2nd and the rear end started heading for the inside guardrail. I had to let off completely to get it straightened out. Wasn't really planning on running that night and had a full tank and too much personal crap in the trunk. It was still a lot of fun and fooled a few Camaro SS's. Getting an O/R-H soon with appropriately modded 91 tune and will try again with under 1/2 tank, no other extra weight and lowered rear tire pressures.

Users who are viewing this thread