Pursuit Questions.

buzzyinmich

King Buzzy
Established Member
My cousin Dustin is sort of out there sort of speak.

He recently just bought a 06' Suzuki GSX-R 1000, totally pimped out, I have seen this kid out run busa's. Anyway onto my story.

Last week, we were cruisin down 696 speed limit is 70 we were coming around a corner and low and behold, Dustin flew by him doing at least 110. Cop just sat there and didn't budge, so I am thinking to myself, hrm. What's going on here. I was in my Lightning when all these things happened.

Few miles later, there were a Couple of State cops sitting up on an on ramp, looked like a speed trap sort of speak. Again Dustin just flew by him doing
100+ and they didn't do anything. I was like Man, had that been me in my L, I would have gotten both of them to chase me.

We got home, hes like Bro, Cops won't chase people on a Bike because they know they have no way to keep up. Im like, ahh Radio's? Helecoptor's maybe? Hes like, Won't happen in Michigan.

Is that really true, that typically Police won't chase bikes say on an expressway traveling at a high rate of speed? I have outgrown my caffe bikes and looking into a harley, but man, I would never do any of the chit that Dustin pulls. I told him, one of these days, hes going to have a terrible accident. I mean, I have seen him weave in an out, but im surprise that some of the local police departments don't have bikes in which can perform as well as these ricers. I know they have bikes, but they are harleys which Dustin was telling me has no chance to keep up with him.

Couple of days ago, hes sitting at a light and gets rear ended by some chick. He jumped to the side of the bike so he wouldnt destroy the ferrings and the dumb biiatch just drove off.

I was just hoping on some insight on this potential problem is all. Because with it being summer out, I am seeing all kinda of kids on ricers (Caffe Bikes) being stupid, doing wheelies, driving in the middle between cars etc.

-Bill

Last edited:

04CompSnake

Established Member
buzzyinmich said:
Couple of days ago, hes sitting at a light and gets rear ended by some chick. He jumped to the side of the bike so he wouldnt destroy the ferrings and the dumb biiatch just drove off.

-Bill

Sounds like he is getting a little of what he deserves. We will chase bikes. I will usually lay back and eventually they wrap themselves around a telephone pole or the back of a tractor trailer...oh well... less paperwork.

awax_cobrastang

Acura Performance B!TCHES
Established Member
Delaware (formerly mass-pats fan for life)
04CompSnake said:
Sounds like he is getting a little of what he deserves. We will chase bikes. I will usually lay back and eventually they wrap themselves around a telephone pole or the back of a tractor trailer...oh well... less paperwork.

ive run from the cops a couple of times. its not that i dont respect them, but three weeks ago i pulled my wheel up about 2 inches off the ground( i can even do a wheelie), and a cop doing the other direction turns around and starts to chase me. i cant get any tickets and there was no way he was gonna catch me. a buddy of mine was in his car and said the cop gave up about 3 lights later. i was doing 160+. most helicopters can keep up with that. i mean my theory is that if im on a bike the only person i hurt is myself. if i do a wheelie it hurts me, if i speed it hurts me, and i think that is why alot of cops dont chase bikes

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
buzzyinmich said:
We got home, hes like Bro, Cops won't chase people on a Bike because they know they have no way to keep up. Im like, ahh Radio's? Helecoptor's maybe? Hes like, Won't happen in Michigan.

Is that really true, that typically Police won't chase bikes say on an expressway traveling at a high rate of speed?

-Bill

This all depends on the Police Department and if the police even saw him. Bikes going that fast are pretty damn small targets.

Anyway, A lot of department have decided that a persons life is much more important than enforcing a speed law. In other words, it not worth them chasing you to give you a ticket when there is a high possibility that you are going to kill yourself while fleeing.

It is also true that Bikes are a pain in the ass to catch with a seasoned rider. Normally it comes down to observations of the bike, biker, and direction of travel so they are caught later or the ability to coordinate with other agencies. Most agencies do not have a Helicopter, much less one in the air just to chase a speeder when they are not wanted for something else.

That why I love Wisconsin laws because all I have to do is get the plate and I can take the bike and issue the owner a fleeing ticket, doesn’t matter who the operator was. If you run in this state, you better be ready to pay for it.

A comparable car IS FASTER than a bike, but not our squads. Just about all bikes out there now can pass the 125mph mark, where Impala’s top out at and if you have a 600cc + Sport bike, most can pass the 135mph mark that Vic's top out at.

And you are correct, if you did that in your lightning, you would most likely have been stopped. Bigger target. Safer for you even if you try to run. Slower and than bike and harder to pull into a back alley and hide.

awax_cobrastang said:
i mean my theory is that if im on a bike the only person i hurt is myself. if i do a wheelie it hurts me, if i speed it hurts me, and i think that is why alot of cops dont chase bikes

Tell that to these people
crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash3.jpg

crash4.jpg

All 3 of the cars occupants died, as did the driver of the motorcycle.

Last edited:

buzzyinmich

King Buzzy
Established Member
Thanks for the input! :)

I told Dustin its just a matter of time before he loses control doing 130+ and I don't think there will be much that will be able to save him if something were to ever happen at that rate of speed.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Nothing to see here because I added my response to my first post.

Last edited:

tmilford34

Established Member
In alabama they will set a trap a couple miles up the road if you are on an interstate. In the city they dont make too much of an effort, my old room mate was a cop and told all of the guys that i ride with that you dont even have to speed off, if you just maintain speed but keep going it will be called off within about 2-3 miles. But thats if they call it in.. But they have started taking photos of license plates and sending tickets wether you are on the bike or not you are responsible for fines.

buzzyinmich

King Buzzy
Established Member
Law, thanks for those pictures, I am going to save this thread and show Dustin the next time he comes over.

-Bill

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
actually Alabama Dept of Public safetly recently gave troopers the right to "DO what was necessary" to stop offending bikes being an obvious road hazard.. buddy of mine is an AST, and if your within tap distance, he's been know to tap that rear wheel w/ the push bar if you decide to get froggy..

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
94five0 said:
actually Alabama Dept of Public safetly recently gave troopers the right to "DO what was necessary" to stop offending bikes being an obvious road hazard.. buddy of mine is an AST, and if your within tap distance, he's been know to tap that rear wheel w/ the push bar if you decide to get froggy..

You are either full of it, or you friend is trying really hard to to kill someone so that he can go to prison for Vehicular Manslaughter. The courts(Criminal/Civil) have said over and over in ruleings that intentional contact from a Police Car to a motorcycle in an attempt to stop it from fleeing is DEADLY FORCE.

Same reason that you can't use Spike Strips on bikes, it will Shock the Conscience of the court. Which means, you are going to prison and you will be paying out of you backside in civil court.

tehnick

Inconsiderate Prick
Established Member
Surprisingly there was a guy (or so I was told) on his bike just south of Portland on I-5. He was clocked going almost 200mph, actually stopped for the police, and when asked what the hell he was doing he said he just "wanted to test the capabilities of the bike". He was taken into jail of course, and whether or not the story is true I don't know. If so, I have to give props for the guy for waiting for the cops and not trying to flee since he would have been able to get away scott free. I do know a guy in a BMW 5-series was stopped on I-84 in East Portland doing 145ish and was also taken to jail. In Oregon they beefed up the speeding laws. 100mph or greater is an automatic jail, mandatory 30-90 license suspension, and a fine of $1,100.

There is no need to drive that fast anywhere except at the track. I have pegged my speedometer just outside of Kalama, WA at 120mph while I blasted by 2 state cops and was WAY surprised that I wasn't stopped. After that happened, I had to change my shorts when I got home. Definitely was not worth the drama that I would endure for that kind of thrill. I'll just go skydiving if I want a rush like that again.

Ken03Cobra

Little Engine That Could
Established Member
Engaging in a pursuit is the choice of the officer and frankly I have no desire to chase some maniac at speeds in excess of 100 mph and put my life on the line to write a speeding ticket. But some officers will just the luck of the draw...

mvcrash

Established Member
Hey, thats why we call the "DONOR CYCLES" because eventually, they will donate some part of their broken body before they get placed in the ground.

Last edited:

mvcrash

Established Member
Lawfficer said:
You are either full of it, or you friend is trying really hard to to kill someone so that he can go to prison for Vehicular Manslaughter. The courts(Criminal/Civil) have said over and over in rulings that intentional contact from a Police Car to a motorcycle in an attempt to stop it from fleeing is DEADLY FORCE.

Same reason that you can't use Spike Strips on bikes, it will Shock the Conscience of the court. Which means, you are going to prison and you will be paying out of you backside in civil court.

Speeding Motorcycles have been known to kill innocents. If the officer/trooper believes that the speeding bike is a continuing threat to the lives of the public at large, he has the authority to use deadly force. It is the same as any other use of deadly force, as long as it is justifiable.
Tough decision, one I would not want to make.

mav_tu

Established Member
mvcrash said:
Speeding Motorcycles have been known to kill innocents. If the officer/trooper believes that the speeding bike is a continuing threat to the lives of the public at large, he has the authority to use deadly force. It is the same as any other use of deadly force, as long as it is justifiable.
Tough decision, one I would not want to make.
Not a decision I want to make either. But the court is also going to look at "justifiable" in that, was the motorcyclist one who commited an aggravated felony and through that was a danger to the public, or was it because he was being chased by a patrol car for doing a wheelie? The court will wonder what would have happened if the patrol car had disengaged and let the wheelie-doer go. He probably would stop running at over 160mph, and no longer be a danger. And even with the aggravated felon, the court will look at type of felony, actual or perceived danger, availability of suspect information, and a plethora of other factors to determine the justifiable-ness of running over a motorcyclist travelling at well over 100mph, and sure to be killed in the fall.

Last edited:

nitrovic

Established Member
buzzyinmich said:

He recently just bought a 06' Suzuki GSX-R 1000, totally pimped out, I have seen this kid out run busa's. Anyway onto my story.

Last week, we were cruisin down 696 speed limit is 70 we were coming around a corner and low and behold, Dustin flew by him doing at least 110. Cop just sat there and didn't budge, so I am thinking to myself, hrm. What's going on here. I was in my Lightning when all these things happened.

Few miles later, there were a Couple of State cops sitting up on an on ramp, looked like a speed trap sort of speak. Again Dustin just flew by him doing
100+ and they didn't do anything. I was like Man, had that been me in my L, I would have gotten both of them to chase me.

Is that really true, that typically Police won't chase bikes say on an expressway traveling at a high rate of speed? I have outgrown my caffe bikes and looking into a harley, but man, I would never do any of the chit that Dustin pulls. I told him, one of these days, hes going to have a terrible accident. I mean, I have seen him weave in an out, but im surprise that some of the local police departments don't have bikes in which can perform as well as these ricers. I know they have bikes, but they are harleys which Dustin was telling me has no chance to keep up with him.

I was just hoping on some insight on this potential problem is all. Because with it being summer out, I am seeing all kinda of kids on ricers (Caffe Bikes) being stupid, doing wheelies, driving in the middle between cars etc.

-Bill

We dont typically chase bikes, it all depends on the situation. He will get caught someday, all it takes is somebody to call in his plates or for him to get into an accident.

mvcrash

Established Member
mav_tu said:
Not a decision I want to make either. But the court is also going to look at "justifiable" in that, was the motorcyclist one who commited an aggravated felony and through that was a danger to the public, or was it because he was being chased by a patrol car for doing a wheelie? The court will wonder what would have happened if the patrol car had disengaged and let the wheelie-doer go. He probably would stop running at over 160mph, and no longer be a danger. And even with the aggravated felon, the court will look at type of felony, actual or perceived danger, availability of suspect information, and a plethora of other factors to determine the justifiable-ness of running over a motorcyclist travelling at well over 100mph, and sure to be killed in the fall.

I absolutely agree. For a MV offense, you are actually creating the hazard. For a 1st or 2nd degree crime, the public interest now does come into play.
As stated tough decision. In NJ, the officer CANNOT be criticized fro breaking off a pursuit no matter what the crime.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Let me put it this way.....

If an officer uses the PIT manuever on a bike or in any other way nudges, bumps, taps, rubs, brushes, pushes, or what ever the H you want to call it, and it is NOT a deadly force situation, he will be going to jail.

It's real simple in real life, unless the guy pulls a Johnny Tran and produces a gun(etc) FORCEING an officer to use the car as a weapon, you simply TERMINATE the pursuit when it gets too dangerous for the rider, yourself, or the Public.

Floridalawdog

Established Member
awax_cobrastang said:
ive run from the cops a couple of times. its not that i dont respect them, but three weeks ago i pulled my wheel up about 2 inches off the ground( i can even do a wheelie), and a cop doing the other direction turns around and starts to chase me. i cant get any tickets and there was no way he was gonna catch me. a buddy of mine was in his car and said the cop gave up about 3 lights later. i was doing 160+. most helicopters can keep up with that. i mean my theory is that if im on a bike the only person i hurt is myself. if i do a wheelie it hurts me, if i speed it hurts me, and i think that is why alot of cops dont chase bikes

FYI, if you hit a car at 160, everybody dies. Do us all a favor, slow down, or go find a nice big oak tree to crash into, so you stop putting everyone at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread