Put on some welds// humm anyone with welds come in..

cobras281

Established Member
Okay heres what I got for my 93 cobra... i got a set of brand new 15 x 8 welds with 5.5 backspace. I put the new mickey thompson et drag radials on em 275 50 15 And got the 3.5 s in front with 1.75 backspace with 165 r 15s one em. I dont know i was curious how far the tire sticks out on your cars?? it sticks out of the wheel well pretty good. post pics of ur rear tires if you can I want to see how far there out...
:bash:

cobra0393

Established Member
I dont have any pics, but I have a 15x9 bogart with a 6'' backspacing with 28x10.5 mickey thompson slicks and my tires fit inside the wheel well. I also had to roll the lips

cobras281

Established Member
well they fit inside the wheel well just barely... but it does.. I def need to roll the lips how did you do it???? wen the car squats it rubs a bit... whats the chances you can take a pic???

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
As you have now discovered, 6" BS is the ticket on the rear wheels. If you roll your fender lips, a wooden baseball bat wedged between the tire and fender works pretty well. Be forewarned, the paint may crack during the rolling process...

PM sent! :)

Last edited:

cobra0393

Established Member
I took a wooden bat to roll the lips, but yes it will crack your paint a bit, but its not noticable. I can take a pic, but I have never posted a pic before. Ill need someone to show me.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
We rolled the lip on my cobra and the paint cracked pretty good. We then rolled the lip on my buddys GT and heated the paint with a heat gun first. Not enought to bubble the paint or anything like that, but enough to make the paint slightly flexable. It worked flawlessly.

So, from experience, I suggest heating the paint first.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I have 15x8 welds w/ 5.5 backspace and mine fit in the fenders with no problems. I don't have any for the front though. If I can, I'll post some pics this weekend.

cobras281

Established Member
mine fit but not as flush as i would want. Pics would be cool. I have the new MT drag radials what are you runnin???

M

FartpipeZ28

Cry baby, Yes, I live in Moms' basement
Established Member
GEBUS!!!!!!! SOmeone post a pic!!!!! I'm having a prob right now on rim choice and dont get much time to run the car at the track so time is everything. Several of you are saying that you are running 15x8's with 5.5 BS and i was told they wont work. I guess thus all the wheel lip rolling process talk. Right now i have a set of 10holes of my buddies to put under the car with a 8in ET drag. Since my car isn't lowered it looks like it will just barely clear to a point when the rear squats. I didn't find though people have said it would fit would be a 15x9in w/6in BS would work nicely with a 10in ET street. Any opinion on this?

Those that said their paint cracked.... did it crack on the under side of the wheel lip or on the outside of the whee lip that i would consider the body of the car when you stand their and look at it you can see it?? Or is it a look under the wheel well and see it cracked around there?

cobra0393

Established Member
Im running 15x9 with a 6'' bs, it works great. The paint cracked on the underside where its not visible. I also have 28x10.5 mt, and my car has been lowered 3/4''

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The 10 holes with an 8 inch slick will clear, but just barely. Buddy of mine is running that exact combo on his 93 Cobra and it just clears.

A 15x8 with 5.5 BS will fit, but just barely.

A 15x8 with 6 BS is optimum.

A 10" slick is a tight fit, regardless of BS.

Sorry, don't have any pix, though...

FartpipeZ28

Established Member
cobra0393 wanna sell those 15x9s w/6in BS????? :) You know you want to. All your friends are doin it!!! You are really thinking of going to 5lug anyways!!!! Throw a fellow member some rims come on!!!

cobroc

Established Member
If a 15x8 with 5.5 BS barely fit, wouldn't a 15x9 with 6 inch BS stick out further? Its 1 inch wider but only 1/2 inch more of BS. The other 1/2 inch will be out the fender.

FartpipeZ28

Established Member
OK WTF!!!! I've contacted Summit which sent me to Weld and they dont make a 15x9in rim with 6in back spacing. They only go in 1/2 sizes and and stop at 5.5 on 8-9in rims and 6.5 max on the 15x10in rim. So i was like well Cragar makes a rim that looks very similar to the weld draglites. So i find they only come in 5lug and also dont come with a 15x8 or 9in rim with 6in back spacing anyways. SO now what do i do?
I ran the car Friday night and could only muster 2.021 60fts on junk 17nitto DR's on my stock rims and running 12.0's twice at 118mph is not fun :(

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Buy some Bogarts or Monocoque wheels and you can get whatever size and backspacing you need. :rockon:

cobra93

Established Member
Don't mean to change the subject on this thread, but have a question for cobra0393. What mph are you running with those 28" tall slicks in the 1/4-mile? I am wondering about rubbing the stock Cobra ground effects front and back when the tire grows. Did you cut the ground effects? I once bolted a set of 28x10.5s up and decided there was going to be a lot of clearancing to do.

I am running 135mph with 26x10s but am only getting 10-15 passes on a set before the 60-fts go away. Would like to run a taller tire.

Originally posted by cobra0393
I dont have any pics, but I have a 15x9 bogart with a 6'' backspacing with 28x10.5 mickey thompson slicks and my tires fit inside the wheel well. I also had to roll the lips

Users who are viewing this thread