putting an alternator in an SE

c0dy

I...Need...Speed
Established Member
my g/f's mom has an SE focus 4 door, and rather than take my car to the store, her mom suggested that we take hers because hers was warmed up ... and its been cold here (0F yesterday) so we agreed. she was driving and on the way to the store the guages start dying and the lights dim... i told her to pullinto a parking lot. the car sat there idling and then just died. she tried to turn it over but nothing happened. I said wait a couple minutes and turn off everything you can hopeing that a static charge would build. It did! but then the car died again... my guess was alternator. We called and her stepdad was pissed off because he somehow thought it was her fault. they had to drive my car to get to the parking lot because it was her moms car, and her stepdad recently crashed his mustang. (family of fords... my g/f has a taurus). They showed up and he popped the hood... couldn't find the alternator... i was surprized to see it so far behind the engine because most cars ive worked on (mainly imports) have then right out front. i said that was the problem. I got my jumper cables from my trunk and hooked them up. had my car go at about 3k rpm for a while, took them off, the focus started, they drove home and i followed them in my car in case anything happened. they buy a new alternator, and dont know how to put it in. asked me for help. we got it where it needs to be but i need to know where the red wire attaches *im assuming one of the bolts but i dont know if it matters which* and we had to unbolt the engine mounts to get it back there. can someone please tell me how to get the connections, or if its just like i thought and plug the plugs where they fit and the red wire on to either bolts. Also how do i get the belt on? i was thinking manipulating the idler pulley somehow. Thanks in advance sorry for the long read... any advice is greatly appreciated. Its a 2001 focus SE manual tranny. thanks again
Cody

Users who are viewing this thread