Pypers header issues..

balboky01

Established Member
I just installed a set of brand new pypes headers with o/r x and now am having some crazy rattling...it is not the clamps as they are tight. It sounds like the header on the passenger side is rattling. I got underneath the car and smacked the header a few times and it sounds like something on the inside is loose?? :??: any help would be appreciated guys

walked_u_hard

Established Member
I hear the primaries rattle right at the collector on those headers...

Bingo! :mj:

You could fix it by having some one tac weld the primaries together in between each other. would only take a half inch weld on each, about 5 inches from the collector.

Last edited:

balboky01

Established Member
excuse my ignorance but would someone actually be able to weld them without hacking off the collector? I mean i guess i wouldnt mind paying someone a couple bucks to do that if it isnt too much of a hassle

Nuar

Established Member
nah you wouldnt. Tack welding one primary to the one next to it would stiffen up the section that rattles... why would you need to cut?

balboky01

Established Member
nah you wouldnt. Tack welding one primary to the one next to it would stiffen up the section that rattles... why would you need to cut?

Would they be able to weld them at the end where it meets the collector? Do you think that would do the trick?

stang8psi

Established Member
can you get inside far enough to weld it?
I was just thinking that it was to far back to be able to weld it from the end?

grabber blue gt

Established Member
CHECK AND MAKE SURE THE 02 SENSORS ARE TIGHT!!!! I too thought it was the tubes themselves rattling together until I noticed my passenger side 02 was loose. Once I re-tightened it, rattle was gone and silent as could be.

Be sure to check !!!

pdub

Established Member
this....kind of makes me glad i'm going with the American Racing system. hope everything works out, keep us posted!

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
pypes steppers are what im using when i get headers. stepped headers are always better.

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
I had the same issue. I cut out the flex joint from the x-pipe and it made the pipes a little more rigid which stopped them from vibrating.

balboky01

Established Member
Well to those who have been following my thread, my buddy was able to tac weld the bottom tow primaries on the passenger side and no more rattle! :banana: It took about a half an hour to do it all and it wasnt too bad. I still will be welding in a solid piece of metal where the flex section is in the x pipe but all in all it wasnt bad.

Users who are viewing this thread