Pypes LT Headers hitting steering shaft

newponyowner

Established Member
Hi, I just had my Pypes LT headers and H pipe installed, sounds great except for the rubbing noise coming from the steering shaft hitting the new headers. When I turn my wheel to the right I feel resistance in the wheel and it's a little hard to turn. Turning to the left is fine, no issues at all. I think I have to drop these new headers and dent them in or bend them some how so it;s not rubbing. Is that my only option or will the metal wear away a little or break in..?
And most importantly, is it safe to drive like this!?
Thanks

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Loosen up the motor mounts as well as the trans mount bolt. This will allow you to move your motor around. You can now get the motor to where you want then re-tighten everything and enjoy man.

newponyowner

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply! I was just reading some people having vibration issues after moving the motor a little, so I was thinking about clearing the pipe with some heat and a hammer. Moving the engine would be easier though I guess, and quick enough to tell if it fixed the issue.

I needed to drive this tomorrow though, do you guy's think I will have a problem with the shaft rubbing when I make right turns.?
Thank you again!

scott_0

Established Member
that's a known issue with Pypes, mine actually rub the steering shaft, I put two washers under the motor mount, problem solved

newponyowner

Established Member
Brought it to the shop and they dented in the pipe a little. Took 10 minutes. It's alot better but I still feel it at times when I make right turns. But much better. I think I'm still going to try the washers.
Thanks

scott_0

Established Member
I would have done the washers before denting one of the primaries, I realize it's only a small amount, but by denting the primary, it makes a restriction that was not there before

newponyowner

Established Member
I hear you, but the dent is really minimal..probably why it still hits slightly on right turns. Washers are my next thing on the list.
On a slightly seperate note. .I have a tapping noise in the engine on the top that I can clearly hear in the cabin on cold start and slightly after that as well while driving. I am going to tighten the header bolts to see if that helps. There is also a loud rattle sound coming from the right rear on cold start as well. (.yeah sounds real nice starting up on a cold day now) The rear end rattle noise goes away after a few minutes.
Any other tips on this? None of these noises were hear before the headers and h pipe install.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread