Pypes Pype Bomb axle back review

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
Installed the Pypes Pype Bombs (black) a few days ago and it sounds fantastic. The best I can describe it is from idle up to about 2.5k RPMs it sounds like an old fox 5.0 with two-chamber flowmasters (I think that was the "American Thunder" but it's been a while). Above that it just starts to scream. It easily rivals my G8 with Doug Thorley tri-y's (no cats) and part# 16795 Magnaflow catback.

The quality of the black powdercoat left quite a bit to be desired had it been any more expensive but for the price I guess I didn't really expect much, mostly just slight nicks and dings that could have easily been from poor packaging during shipping meaning nothing was down to bare metal but one of them wasn't black inside. I ended up spraying a few coats of rattle can black with some clear over that and it looks pretty damn good now. I spent a good deal of time getting them aligned but I must have not tightened them enough as they have now shifted so I'll be taking it to a local exhaust shop for correction sometime this week as I really don't feel like crawling back under the damn thing for a while. After that I hope to get a vid posted but I doubt that will do it justice.

In summary:
-It has a throaty, VERY aggressive sound (read not raspy) and I'd honestly call it a louder Borla S-type.

-If you've heard a new 5.0 with true muffler deletes (i.e. SLP loudmouth) I would consider that a 10/10 for exhaust volume. The volume of the Pypes' exhaust note is more controlled with the resonators so I'd say 8.5/10 with the Borla S-type 7/10.

-Finish quality was above average with the jury still being out on overall quality, I'll update this once I have a shop with a damn lift have a crack at getting it aligned correctly.

It's about what I expected from an axle back in this price range.

EDIT -- Ended up adjusting the exhaust in my driveway myself. It only took me about 10 minutes and I didn't even jack up the car. Drone exists but mostly under load and around 2250 rpms. I'll just say that if you THINK that drone will bother you then this is definitely not for you. Compared to a catless G8 GT with long tubes and magnaflow catback with AFM enabled, it's about one notch below that in the drone department.

Last edited:

Screamin 40th

♪♫♫♪♪♫
Established Member
Did you ever get a video of your exhaust? I'm torn between the Pype Bomb and the Flowmaster American Thunder. Haven't found a video of the Pype Bomb yet.

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
Yup, here you go.
[youtube_browser]NUagRzwQblM[/youtube_browser]

Other exhaust just sounds like puny mortals are chirping at me :dancenana:

Screamin 40th

♪♫♫♪♪♫
Established Member
Very nice. Sound quality isn't great but I bet that thing sounds like a beast in person. Thanks!

h34d

Back In The Saddle
Established Member
No prob. It's a cell phone video. Like I said on youtube, it sounds much cleaner IRL. If you're looking for loud but don't want straight pipes and the popping associated with them then this is definitely for you. The drone above 70mph isn't for the faint of heart though...

Screamin 40th

♪♫♫♪♪♫
Established Member
Awesome. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not too worried about the drone. I don't have a long commute and I usually have the radio blaring anyway. Plus I'm used to riding motorcycles. Putting my order in to American Muscle tomorrow.

jbur074

Established Member
wow just watched a youtube video on the american thunder, that sounds absoloutly awful. nice idle but it sounds like a v8 rice bucket. i cant believe anyone would actually like that sound. to each their own i guess

jbur074

Established Member
No prob. It's a cell phone video. Like I said on youtube, it sounds much cleaner IRL. If you're looking for loud but don't want straight pipes and the popping associated with them then this is definitely for you. The drone above 70mph isn't for the faint of heart though...

my muffler deletes pop quite often on down shift. but not very loudly i like it

ViciousJay

Established Member
wow just watched a youtube video on the american thunder, that sounds absoloutly awful. nice idle but it sounds like a v8 rice bucket. i cant believe anyone would actually like that sound. to each their own i guess

The American Thunder does or Pypes? I loved my AT till i went to a o/r pipe, then i went tot he gt500 axle back

Screamin 40th

♪♫♫♪♪♫
Established Member

The Late Model Restoration video for the AT's doesn't sound good at all. I've seen a few other videos of it that sounded really nice though. It's definitely hard to capture the true sound of any exhaust system without a high end camera.

jbur074

Established Member
The Late Model Restoration video for the AT's doesn't sound good at all. I've seen a few other videos of it that sounded really nice though. It's definitely hard to capture the true sound of any exhaust system without a high end camera.

yeah i saw the late model restoration video and it sounded god awful. idk maybe it was just video quality, i heard it drive away once and decided to immediately turn it off

Users who are viewing this thread