Pyrometer/Airfuel Gauge install

cobra50

Established Member
Got a triple A-pillar to day and need help installing the gauges.Does anyone know how to install a pyrometer gauge or a Air/Fuel gauge? The directions are not much help?
I need to know does the air/fuel gauge install to the X-pipe? if so does it go up front or in the back?
On the pyrometer gauge, where does the meter install at?

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
Here is the EGT. Not sure on the A/F.

105_0588.jpg

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
I found the easiest way to install the a/f gauge is to get a pigtail connector from south florida pulley hq , it really simplifies things. what type of a/f gauge did you get? PM me if you still need any help.

cobra50

Established Member
I got the AEM Guage. It cost me 400.00. So where does it go?
So on the Pyrometer, it goes right below the manifold?

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
the closer u get it to the manifold the hotter the temps will show. EGT should read individual exhaust ports.

Sonic03inSC, maybe ud like to share with every one on how hot the temps get since u have it in that location.

Kiddk1

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra50
I got the AEM Guage. It cost me 400.00. So where does it go?
So on the Pyrometer, it goes right below the manifold?

I dont have any experience with the AEM's but it looks like it installs where the factory o2 sensor is, I would call the manufacturer for a detailed explanation.

Sonic03inSC

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
the closer u get it to the manifold the hotter the temps will show. EGT should read individual exhaust ports.

Sonic03inSC, maybe ud like to share with every one on how hot the temps get since u have it in that location.

In town driving I see a range of 950* at a light to 1150* in 4th @ 45mph
The highest I've seen was 1375*-1425* @ 125mph in 6th.
on avg. I see is 1150*-1300* on the highway @65-85mph in 5 or 6th gear.

coleman

Established Member
I've got my pyrometer on the way ... but I thought anything above 1400 was melt-down area...

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Here is where I placed my EGT and wideband bung. It's recommended to place them in at no less than 10 degrees from the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. My EGT goes in at angle and sits exactly at the 12 o'clock position. The wideband is close to the factory O2 angle. I used a hose to flow water down the pipe to ascertain the flow characteristic and make my placement but I'm not sure if that really makes a difference.

The temps can get hot when going in excess of 125 mph. Mine also get over 1300 degrees. I'm working now on correlating the relationship between the EGT voltages and A/F ratio.

Exhaust_Preweld2-sm.JPG

Exhaust_bungs1-sm.JPG

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra50
Can I just remove an O2 senser and put the air/fuel senser in that hole?

You need the front 02's for fuel trim so that location should not be used. Some have used the rear 02 location when the rear 02 has been programmatically turned off. However, the wideband sensor is best when it's within 30" of the exhaust port and in front of the cats. So it is best to weld in a bung. If you're not able to weld one in yourself, it is cheap to have a muffler shop do the weld.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
I've got my pyrometer on the way ... but I thought anything above 1400 was melt-down area...

depends on which plug company u look at.

950 to 1500f is the normal area for each exhast port.

950 is a good temp
1500 and about is not good

Sonic03inSC, thanks. thats what i saw when i had it way further down then ur possition.

Users who are viewing this thread