quandrant question

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
Clutch problems, Gurus please read

Okay, My friend has a 2003 10th anniversary cobra. Recently his clutch had been slipping, and weve been frantically trying to figure out why, and i thought for sure it was just an adjustment problem with the stock quadrant. got it to adjust one click, fixed it for a day, at this point its slipping pretty badly, and i spent the last couple hours under the dash trying to ghetto rig an old quadrant and firewall adjuster, not a double hook, no go, couldnt get it in, and whilst under the car, i noted that the fork wouldnt move in either direction, away from the clutch due to a stopper (possibly the problem) or towards it because it was contacting the PP... Basically at this point, ive come to the conclusion that his clutch is just shot, and we would both like to know What could be causing this car to eat clutches he bought the car with a slipping clutch, and he had a FRPP King cobra clutch put in, which died in 6000 miles, and then had another one put in which has lasted ~20. Is it just the stock adjustable assembly thats doing it?

Basically at this point, hes postponing getting tires (which he desperately needs) to get a clutch, Firewall adjuster, quadrant, and a TOB, and a flywheel if he needs to.

Would that setup help/ eliminate the premature wear on the clutch?, anything else im overlooking. Could it be that stopper i saw on the fork (it looked like a bolt that was screwed into the back of the opening on the bell housing and was touching the fork)? Also, what parts should we be looking at for this? Ive heard spec 3 clutches, but also that they chatter, anyone have a suggestion for a good clutch that is relatively inexpensive and will last a while? TOB= FRPP? He plans on getting the Fiore Micro Click and Quadrant, as well as a new cable, should he get an OEM cable, or a different one, and lastly, if the stock flywheel cannot be turned, what is a good, inexpensive flywheel, Stock replacement?

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Fat-cat

Established Member
I guess the first piece of info that would help is what kind of clutch did he have installed. A firewall adj and quad usually help big time with adjustments in pedal height and engagement points.

I could also be that the clutch was installed correctly and that is the larger issue here. Some twin disc's require a little more care and an adj pivot ball. You are on the right track i think with the adj and quad though.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
its got an FRPP King cobra

on a side note, my friend informed me that quadrants are listed as 82-04, so one of the two should hopefully work. thanks for the response.

Digital

Established Member
Bump for a different topic.

I'll take a swing at it..

First off it was a poor choice to throw parts at the car when it obviously had a problem.
Most aftermarket clutches need a firewall adjuster and quadrant to properly be placed in their "sweet spot."
When I put my spec3+ in it wouldent even move till I installed those 2 pieces.
I replaced my cable when I did my clutch as well. Tnd the OEM cable and Steeda Adjustable cable were the same price so I grabbed the adjustable one.
It really isnt needed but I figured if the cable got a little stretched down the road it would offer me another adjustment point.

Puting in a single disc clutch is idiot proof if you follow the directions.
The only thing I could see being the problem is if you replaced the clutch and didnt replace the pressure plate as well and/or if you didnt replace/resurface the flywheel.
Not doing those 2 will eat a new clutch alive in the time frame you're talking about.
If your buddy is having a shop do it and he cannot go and watch them make sure they take pictures of every step or don't pay them till they take it apart and do.
I had this happen on my ex-wifes rx8, I was being lazy so she took it to a shop and had the clutch replaced and they "claimed" to have resurfaced the flywheel yet her clutch that has twice the rating as the stock one lasted about as long as your friends.

I'd personaly say go with a spec 3+, once you break it in it's a very nice clutch and will hold power like no ones business.
Get a brand new flywheel while you're at it and make sure the shop takes pictures of every step.
Get a firewall adj, quad, and the free-play mod.
You wont see ANY problems if the install is done properly for many tens of thousands of miles of hard driving.

Good luck.

FuzzyDiceRule

Established Member
now that you mention it, im betting that they probably never resurfaced the flywheel... it was done by JBA BTW

And the "throwing parts at it" was just today, i was trying out different combos of old quadrants and an extra firewall adjuster i had laying around unused... no money was wasted... just trying to make the car temporarily driveable until he could get the fiore peices

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread