Question About a ticket ($121.00)

svtcobras

www.htsracing.com
Established Member
I know this is pretty meager, but I want opinions anyways.
Ok, of all vehicals, I get a ticket in my p.os pickup that I rarely drive. Maybe 600 miles since I bought it a three years ago.
Heres the deal, I got nailed 83 in a 70 by aircraft which in turn got the patrol unit to stop me. I was actually surprised as my indications were 73-75 mph.

Anyways, when I bought my used truck from the dealer one of the conditions of the sale was that they had to replace the rear tires due to sidewall damage. I have the docs showing the tire replacement from the dealer.
A few days ago I checked my tire sizes on the truck and sure enough, they were the wrong size, they are 70's not the required 65. I also verified the approx speed diff with my wife driving the new audi a3, and it seemed to be off by about 6-8 mph @ 70 mph.
It is a 70 mile drive to the court.
Here are my options:
Should I
1:Just pay it and take the hit.
2:Mitigation Hearing and take the hit
3:Contested hearing

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Um. If you could prove that the dealer put on the wrong tires and that it was the direct cause you MIGHT have something.

That would warrant a phone call to a lawyer.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I can tell what would happen in my neck of the woods and that's not an excuse. I don't know if you can or not, but you may pry the court clerk and see how those type of cases go? Bottom line is there are no excuses.

DeVus1

Established Member
Not sure where you are from, but out traffic court judge will usually dismiss or defer the finding if you can provide documentation like that. I would go to court, the worse that could happen is you are found guilty which would happen if you pre-paid your ticket anyways.

JimBowy

306ci's
Established Member
well you knew the speed was off, so what's the problem? its not like you found out the wrong tires were on it later. pay the thing, you were in the wrong.

svtcobras

www.htsracing.com
Established Member
JimBowy said:
well you knew the speed was off, so what's the problem? its not like you found out the wrong tires were on it later. pay the thing, you were in the wrong.
Actually, I did not know the speed was off until a few days ago. Like i said, I have probably driven the thing 600 miles in three years. I did not know the dealer put the wrong tires on.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
In most states it is strict liability, therefore it doesnt matter what your intent was. All that matters is that you did what the statute says is a violation.

stocksvtcontour

Established Member
If it was me I would go to court and explain it to the judge or DA in reasonable manner. Just because the law says you are held accountable does not mean the judge will not understand circumstance and possbily cut you a break.

convert03cobra

Established Member
The first question the judge will ask you is why you never went staight back to the dealer for them to put the right tires on. I would just pay it and be done with it. I wouldn't want to be bothered with the hastle for $121. I just got a speeding ticket over the summer for $152 which sucked but oh well. I would just pay it but that's me.

stocksvtcontour

Established Member
And now it shows up on your insurance, and if you ever get pulled over again you have a history of speeding so don't be expecting and leniency from the officer or judge.

Users who are viewing this thread