Question about accidents

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a question regarding accident. I was involved in a "fender bender" a month or so back (was a no fault). The guy blew a yield sign and tried to merge in behind me and clipped the back of my bumper(major traffic BTW). It wasn't a serious accident so I pulled to the side of the road, we exchanged info, etc. Now I didn't call the police because I was under the impression that if there is no issue between both drivers exchanging info, and no one is injured then it was a waste of the officer's time (and that the officer wouldn't really appreciate having to come out to the scene for basically no reason). So I called the Insurance company the next day and told them what happened (we have same insurance comp.), they said they would call back in a few days... So a week later I have to call them, and they end up telling me that it was a no fault, because he told them something completely different (impossible actually).

So my question is should I call the cops even on a fender bender that doesn't seem that important? Or is there a better way to ensure that I don't get screwed over again?

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Always call the police non-emergency line for accidents without injury. They will let you know if they will respond or not. It is always better to have a report issued at the time of the accident. Also, nowadays with camera phones you should always take pictures of the driver, the cars, and the license plates before moving the vehicles or letting the other driver leave.

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Always call the police non-emergency line for accidents without injury. They will let you know if they will respond or not. It is always better to have a report issued at the time of the accident. Also, nowadays with camera phones you should always take pictures of the driver, the cars, and the license plates before moving the vehicles or letting the other driver leave.

Thanks for the help :beer:

VenomRogue

Focus > Mustang
Established Member
thats good advice.

I used to carry one of those disposable cameras around in my glove box just for situations like these.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
If I remember correctly, in VA if the damage is over a certain amount you HAVE to file a police report injuries or not, cops called or not.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member

Excellent advice. My city has non-emergency responders for minor accidents but I always make the call to the police station - too many people get screwed after the fact if they don't have third party verification of the accident.

fiveohpoepoe

Established Member
NC law states you have to report it if damage between both vehicles is $1k or more, then it goes to Raleigh.[capital] Being police were not called at the time, it becomes a civil issue in most circumstances.
When an officer does a report, it is based off of what each driver say happened and any non-biased witnesses. Typically insurance companies do go by what the officer reports, however if there are different sides, they can/will do their own investigation.
ALWAYS call and have LEO respond. Once its documented you are "safe". By that, I mean it will help prevent/cut down on magic damage or injuries coming up by the other driver.

f8lmach

Occasional SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks guys, like I said though it was very minimal damage and I didn't want to assume the other drive was going to be a douche so I didnt call. I also couldn't tell on the spot how much repairs would cost. I would also think he wouldve told the officer the same lie he told the insurance company so idk what he wouldve done about that... My insurance company also told me VA is a no fault state :-/

Users who are viewing this thread