Question about Car Waxer/Buffers

Shaniqua08

No one likes a kiss ass
Established Member
I wanted to get my bf an electric waxer/buffer set for christmas. What is the best brand out there? He has a 2012 Mustang GT... So I want to get him a nice one.:beer:

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I have a Porter Cable and I have had it for a year and a half and it works great. There are more expensive models but I like what I have. You can buy lots of different kinds it different kits online.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Try autogeek.com. They have a lot of good combo kits on the site. You can definitely find a good basic DA/polish/wax starter kit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

POPPAJ

Established Member
There are those that have their own ideas on what is the best buffer/ kit. Ask your BF which he would like and get that one. Of course he would have to agree to act surprised when received.

I see that you have ignored the basic rules of the forum by not posting a photo or series of photos. :shrug:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
There are those that have their own ideas on what is the best buffer/ kit. Ask your BF which he would like and get that one. Of course he would have to agree to act surprised when received.

I see that you have ignored the basic rules of the forum by not posting a photo or series of photos. :shrug:

:lol: preferably some low angle stuff...we need to see morning dew :banana:

anarchyx914

Established Member
Portercable 7424xp is a great buffer for beginners. It's DA so its next to impossible to burn clearcoat unless your semi-retarded.

I recommend this, and if you want cheap compound the Meguiars M105/205 works great. I recommend an orange/white pad combo for those two polishes. Orange which is cutting for the m105, and white for the polishing which is M205.

If you want better compound, I recommend the wolfgang deep swirl remover, and the partner for that.

I get stuff from autogeek.net all of the time for my cars, they have great info you can find there.

Blown 89

Established Member
Get him something else. MUCH better to use his own hands.
I assume that's a joke I'm missing....at least I hope so.

Porter Cable is a good choice for beginners. Autogeek.com has packages you cold get him. The Meguires DA Polisher is a good one too.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Try autogeek.com. They have a lot of good combo kits on the site. You can definitely find a good basic DA/polish/wax starter kit.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

This. And ShownShine. Do some research, but if you're going to get one, make sure it's a dual action random orbital, and not just a normal polisher. DA's don't leave swirls.
I like my 6" Griot's Garage DA, but brand is only a name, for the most part.
Though, I do wish I had a 3" to get into tighter spots/curves... (inb4 that's what sh................nevermind).

Shaniqua08

No one likes a kiss ass
Established Member
Hmmm.. Guess i have some research to do... Def dont want to get him something that messes up his paint and what not. Thanks everyone! I appreciate the responses!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
You cant mess up paint with a dual action rotary like the porter-cable. Unless he tries to correct wuth the velcro backing pad...

SNCBOOM

Established Member
That's good to know, I've never taken the plunge because I figured I'd screw something up and be out $2-300. I really need to learn how to do this though, the poor Lightning is in rough shape after sitting in my parent's garage for the last 6 years.

slapshot

Established Member

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
That's good to know, I've never taken the plunge because I figured I'd screw something up and be out $2-300. I really need to learn how to do this though, the poor Lightning is in rough shape after sitting in my parent's garage for the last 6 years.

Trust me, I knew nothing about detailing (still don't, really!), but I've worked some serious magic on some ****ed up finishes with the above mentioned Porter Cable 7424, and basic Maguires polish and wax. Don't be afraid, just jump into it...it's the only way to learn!

proudgeek

OCD
Established Member
The best dual action orbiter is the flex but is pricey. The 3 mainstream price point competitors are porter cable, meguiars, and griots garage and all are very similar. I bought the griots because it has lifetime warranty.

You will also need to get pads to go along with it. Lake country and meguiars are the key vendors here but remember that any of these pads will work with any of these machines. Your best bet is to buy a kit from autogeek.net.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread