Question About Catch Can Contents

helloWorld

Established Member
My car is in my description. About 57,000 miles on the engine. I have completely converted over to E-85 less than 250 miles ago. I was going to do my routine catch can dumping, when I noticed that my oil mixture seriously looked like coffee with a lot of creamer in it.

Is this cause for concern? Should I be changing my oil now every 3,000 miles?

IMG_20160106_161209.jpg

Vert

Established Member
Nope mixture of oil and water from condensation since you live in a colder climate.

Vert

Established Member
Trust me its normal. My G8 did this in 2009 when I first put my oil seperator on during the winter. Mechanic said its from the cold weather so I researched it and he was correct.

helloWorld

Established Member
Thank You guys for the responses. Makes me feel better.

@Sid, I primarily do city driving, so a lot of short trips. I have yet to look at the oil dipstick, I will do that today.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I had this issues a while back. Basically I wasn't driving the car far enough to get it hit enough to "burn" off the liquid. It would get just warm enough to create condensation but not hot enough for it to evaporate. I was driving a mile to work so I ended up starting the car 15-20mins before I left for work and after work I'd let the car idle for 15-20mins before shutting down. Problem solved by removing the can and just using filters.

Users who are viewing this thread