Question about cats??

blakedout

Established Member
if i gut the cats out of my 1999 cobra will it affect the power any or will it make power and sound better?? backpressure?
oh and i have jba shorties, bassani x-pipe and borla stingers. let me know what you guys think, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ALL THE INFO!!

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
The car will be much louder, little more power and a little torque lost from lost backpressure.

It will be loud but sound awesome. Much more raw, as will the smell (gas smell)

zPipes

Established Member
he said it right on the money. the loss of a little torque, no big deal. gain in hp and louder(better) sound. these things arent meant to have cats imo!

black N/A beast

Established Member
i had 2 high performance stanless cats put on versus the stock 4 cats and they definatly made it sound better and also reduced the under hood temp.

totheduals

Established Member
I got JBA shorties MAC O/R and Borla Stingers!!! When I went from just the Cat Back on to taking the Cats out and putting the O/R Pro Chamber on with the Stingers I giggled like a little school girl for weeks. Night and Day sounding. Alot more throaty and louder too. I can get attn from a mile away now. (not always a good thing).
I started my car up with the cat back off. Just Manifolds and cats.........it was quiet, I couldn't believe those cats robbed that much sound!
High flow cats wouldn't be as loud but would still help a whole bunch.
Do it you'll be gigglin as well.
:beer:

zPipes

Established Member
lol, when i first did mine i didnt turn the radio on for a week, loved the roar.

blakedout

Established Member
looks like i will take the advice and gut the cats then, hopefully il do it this weekend. thank you guys!

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
its going to be a lot of work to gut stock cats and end up with an underperforming mid-pipe. Just go ahead and get a $150 H pipe.

zPipes

Established Member
when you say gut it can confuse some folks, make them think your gonna dig out the insides. your removing them completely right.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Isn't the Bassani x-pipe a 5 piece design w/ high-flow cats? If so why not just get some straight pipes instead of gutting the cats you have, those things are kinda expensive.

blakedout

Established Member
i can go either way. do an off road x-pipe or gut the x-pipe i already have(removing the inside of the catalityc converter so its hollow inside), but my only concern was if i do run the car with no cats will it hurt the power it puts out or will it help it any? and also does no backpressure have an effect on power also? thanks guys! all your info is very helpful.

scotts99snake

Established Member
I am not saying it is going to happen on your car, but my friend hollowed out the cats on a grand prix and it sounded horrible. Yes it was louder but it make it sound tinny.

blakedout

Established Member
Isn't the Bassani x-pipe a 5 piece design w/ high-flow cats? If so why not just get some straight pipes instead of gutting the cats you have, those things are kinda expensive.

ya they are kind of expensive. so maybe all the feedback i get will help me decide what i do.

K2AHollywood

Established Member

well stated and honestly a 'high flow' cat is not much different then a 'regular' cat. A car with the right set up can be plently loud. Mine is very reserved with cats but above 4k is loud and mean as shit, which is just about perfect. Go cats or without, if a DD stick with them and its a lot simpler then hunting down MILs [then again shutting them off isnt hard with a tune] things are just simplified with them, its really a consideration of noise rather then performance

blakedout

Established Member
thanks hollywood ive been told of a loss of torque if i do gutt the cats so that might make me think twice about doing it

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
thanks hollywood ive been told of a loss of torque if i do gutt the cats so that might make me think twice about doing it

I doubt the loss is going to be very noticeable, it really comes down to a preference of sound. I wouldn't do it until you get a set of MIL deletes or you're ready to have it tuned.

ItsACobraSon

Established Member
I went with BBK LTs, OR X Pipe and Flowmaster American Thunder. Sound is sick (good), and I didnt notice a huge reduction in TQ. Im at 320 with my set-up. With a hand held tuner you can turn off the O2s without a custom tune.

I would buy an OR drive it for a while and if your not happy go back to the orig set-up and sell OR, or if you are happy sell the Bassani. My 2 cent

yeller1

Established Member
man, that thing is gonna smell. It could get pretty strong. Not sure what the heat would or could do underneath.:shrug:

yeller1

Established Member
without cats, you get alot of gas smell. I have the high flow cats and I can
smell it from time to time. Can't imagine no cats at all. Also, the cats get very hot. Without
the guts, where's that heat going?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread