question about cooling mod

big89dog

RUTGERS FOOTBALL
Established Member
Im looking to buy a terminator, but keep reading that highspeed runs are a lottery, you never know when your gonna bite it. Not to say that ill be at 160 mph daily, but i would like to know what the car could do, just once will be enough for me. My question is, if the car has the cooling mod, is it still at risk or is it a completely diff problem? Ive tried searching, but havent found an answer to what i was looking for, thanks in advance guys.

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Even with cooling mods I advise against it but hey it's your motor.

big89dog

RUTGERS FOOTBALL
Established Member
yea i get that its not good, but can you guys tell me why? Im just curious. Im not trying to be thickheaded on the subject i just want to understand what the problem is. And dont you guys ever wonder how fast shell go?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The head cooling mods won't offer much help with high speed runs, cars that had the cooling mod have burned a piston just as bad as cars with it. The problems comes from the tight PTW clearance, once the piston gets hot enough it expands and hits the cylinder wall. You're best bet if you want to do some high speed runs is to start the run a little higher to keep the amount of time you have to be in boost and WOT to a minimum, and get an Aeroforce gauge or use your handheld to keep an eye on temps so you can back out when it gets too hot. Having your tune a little rich and timing on the conservative side will help keep those cylinders cooler longer. Not sure what mods you're planning on for the car, but full exhaust including headers will help get the heat out of the engine quicker and a ported blower will help with keeping charge temps down when in boost for extended periods of time.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
The head cooling mods won't offer much help with high speed runs, cars that had the cooling mod have burned a piston just as bad as cars with it. The problems comes from the tight PTW clearance, once the piston gets hot enough it expands and hits the cylinder wall. You're best bet if you want to do some high speed runs is to start the run a little higher to keep the amount of time you have to be in boost and WOT to a minimum, and get an Aeroforce gauge or use your handheld to keep an eye on temps so you can back out when it gets too hot. Having your tune a little rich and timing on the conservative side will help keep those cylinders cooler longer. Not sure what mods you're planning on for the car, but full exhaust including headers will help get the heat out of the engine quicker and a ported blower will help with keeping charge temps down when in boost for extended periods of time.

I was trying to spit it out but didnt know how lol:thumbsup:

big89dog

RUTGERS FOOTBALL
Established Member

Thanks for the info, thats all i needed to know, so basically if i keep an eye on the temp, i should be ok?

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Thanks for the info, thats all i needed to know, so basically if i keep an eye on the temp, i should be ok?

Not necessarily, but knowing what the cylinder temps are will allow you to see if you're playing with fire and give you a chance to get out of it if you see them getting too hot.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It helps to have a cooling mod of sorts but its not a guarantee for anything.

only guarantee is to really stay away from WOT in 5th/6th gear, for all the reasons already specified. Not only is it un-necessary (if you think you need to use 5th to beat someone, you arent going to win anyways), its stupid and risky.

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned

only guarantee is to really stay away from WOT in 5th/6th gear, for all the reasons already specified. Not only is it un-necessary (if you think you need to use 5th to beat someone, you arent going to win anyways), its stupid and risky.

perfectly said:nono:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sadly the tight PTW clearance is the 03/04's Achilles heel it seems.

the REAL way to make a motor survive the stresses of going into 5th is to build one with proper PTW clearance per the piston specified (ie a piston other than stock).

BIGV

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!
Established Member
Sadly the tight PTW clearance is the 03/04's Achilles heel it seems.

the REAL way to make a motor survive the stresses of going into 5th is to build one with proper PTW clearance per the piston specified (ie a piston other than stock).

They originally did that but the noise from the piston slap before the engine warmed up was said to be unacceptable.

EB233HWT

Established Member

Believe me i know a 5th gear pull is stupid and risky....im not big on street racing but im tempted to do it just once..on a very open road, when im the only one in danger.

As for everything else, thans to everyone who helped explain this to me. I appreciate it and ill sure be watching the temp when i attempt it.

btw im on my friends comp, and i just realized this, this is the op(big89dog) srry for any confusion.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Cooling Mod is worthless.

Tight Piston to Wall Clearance is your enemy when going balls out. A properly built Bottom End is the only Solid solution.

Users who are viewing this thread