Question about differentials

scho1186

Established Member
I have a solid axle out of a 2001 Mustang GT. I was told during the switch it was a stock rear end so I assumed it had the limited slip differential. I was just at the track two nights ago and noticed that at certain times during my burnout, only one tire was spinning. Sometimes both would spin, other times just one. Just curious as to why this was happening. I was under the impression only an open differential causes one tire to spin during a burnout. The car launches great. I cut 1.70's all night on drag radials with a stock rear end.

Anyone have any ideas or corrections on my assumption?

Last edited:

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
With a clutch-type rear end like the stock 28 spline Trac Lock, they will peg leg like you described when the clutches are starting to get worn out. A simple rebuild with new clutches should take care of the problem, but since it's on its' way out, it would be wise to upgrade to 31 spline stuff, if money allows.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yeah I'd upgrade. But you can get a rebuild kit with extra clutches for less than 60 bucks I think.

And its easy to pull and do yourself.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
If money is an issue, you can get a nice 31 spline trac-lok for pretty cheap. Add 1 or 2 extra clutches and some nice moser/superior/strange 31 spline axles and you are out for less than $450.

If you are ok with sticking with the 28 spline stuff, rebuild it with the extra clutches as virtual said.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
With a clutch-type rear end like the stock 28 spline Trac Lock, they will peg leg like you described when the clutches are starting to get worn out. A simple rebuild with new clutches should take care of the problem, but since it's on its' way out, it would be wise to upgrade to 31 spline stuff, if money allows.

agreed!

OP have you ever considered a spool???

Quadcammer

Established Member
I would not run a spool in anything that resembles a moderately driven street car.

Id start with a clutch style diff, if you start breaking them, go to a detroit locker, and then if you breaking that (quite difficult to do), then its spool time.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I would not run a spool in anything that resembles a moderately driven street car.

have you ever drivin a car with a spool???

it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be

Id start with a clutch style diff, if you start breaking them, go to a detroit locker, and then if you breaking that (quite difficult to do), then its spool time.

I do however agree with you on this...i was just curious if he had considered the spool if the car spends alot of time at the track

Last edited:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
The stock clutch pack has clutch discs and steel discs. Many people remove a steel disc and add extra clutch discs for tighter LS action. Search for more info.

Quadcammer

Established Member
have you ever drivin a car with a spool???

it's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be

I do however agree with you on this...i was just curious if he had considered the spool if the car spends alot of time at the track

yeah, I drove my buddies GT with a spool.

While its not HORRIBLE, you better be damn sure you're not breathing on the gas during a turn.

Certainly not something Id want in my street car, but people do have different tolerances.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
yeah, I drove my buddies GT with a spool.

While its not HORRIBLE, you better be damn sure you're not breathing on the gas during a turn.

Certainly not something Id want in my street car, but people do have different tolerances.

i drove a buddy of mines 408 ls2 camaro with a 9" and spool lastnight, it was crazy, haha, i want one in my solid now.

Users who are viewing this thread