question about evo 8's...

yellow98stang

Established Member
hello all, my buddy was in town w/ his recently purchased evo 8 w/ full 3" exhaust and a remapped ECU. He said this raised the boost from stock about 19 to 21, but wasn't positive on the boost #'s...

anyways, we messed around a little on the street(not from a stop) but we were nearly dead even through 3rd, but i heard him have to shift earlier and i was still pulling strong in third and barely pulled at that point, but then we had to shut down due to a light...

does this sound about right? i am itching to mod again, but should the car run this close????:fm:

thanks, Dan

yellow98stang

Established Member
damn, when i rode in it, it felt fast, but just didn't feel as strong as my car, especially when the boost would have to kick back in after each shift...

i really want more mods now...

later, Dan

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
I don't know why evo owners raise the boost to 21psi on 93 octane (alot of them do), thats to high for 93 IMO, it will probably pull timing or cause fuel cut that high. Personally I keep mine steady at the factory 19psi.

I have seen/know of evo's with K&N filter, full 3" exhaust, and ecu mod with boost control trap between 105 and 108. Not sure where you are, but that should give you a rough idea.

Last edited:

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by EvoOwner
I don't know why evo owners raise the boost to 21psi on 93 octane (alot of them do), thats to high for 93 IMO, it will probably pull timing or cause fuel cut that high. Personally I keep mine steady at the factory 19psi. I have seen/know of evo's with K&N filter, full 3" exhaust, and ecu mod with boost control trap between 105 and 108. Not sure where you are, but that should give you a rough idea.

my friend with his WRX (not i ) has his up at 21 psi. and the highest we can get here is 91 octane. he's got a TURBOXS chip tuned for 92 but this thing still pulls hard (granted, it's way modded and has destroyed i 's)

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
I have always hit fuel cut at 20psi+ in my eclipse and my evo, especially with the cold weather. Even if you get the fuel cut removed from the ecu code, or use larger injectors, I still wouldn't run over 20psi on 93 octane unless the car was tuned with a wideband 02 sensor and timing was monitored. That way you see the lean spots and if timing is being pulled.

A lot of people think more boost always equals more power and try and crank it up as high as they can, they don't realize that they may need supporting fuel mods, or that a tuned car at 19psi could potentially make more efficient power more safely than an untuned car at more than 19psi.

EDIT: Considering that your friend is running 21psi and a stock wrx runs less than 15, I would say that he has the right supporting mods and has probably had the car tuned to safely run those levels. When people slap on an exhaust and a ecu upgrade on an evo, without tuning, and start running 21psi it's not the best thing to do in my experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread