Question about front plate citation in MD

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Well I already ordered the bracket so I'll have it installed for the next trip down to OC for fall Cruisin. Of course I'll pay the fines as it's not worth the hassle of driving down there on a weekday for $140 bucks.

Agreed, that was the point I was trying to make. At least give me a chance to return to my primary residence. Even if I wanted to drill into my bumper it wasn't going to happen until I got home. I didn't have the tools to mount the plate with me. I know that's not the officers problem but a little understanding would have been nice.

Exactly!

bpmurr

Established Member
Double sided tape with cut off screw heads showing on the plate would be my instant fix.

Here is the problem with that. Any double sided tape strong enough to keep it on at highway speed would most likely rip off the vinyl stripes upon removal. I didn't have any tools to cut screw heads.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I must admit that this is my method too. Here in California (at least in Los Angeles) you can be warned, given a "fix it" ticket, or given an actual citation for equipment.
The fixit ticket requires that you drive to a CHP office and have it visually proven that you now have a plate on the front of your car. Then you have to take the ticket with the sign off on it and go to the courthouse. Wait in line a minimum of two hours, pay a paperwork annoyance fee, probably have to pay for parking then go home.

The actual citation is more expensive (but not by much) but much simpler. Sit at desk, write check, put stamp on envelope, and mail it. Total time, maybe ten minutes. It is way cheaper than a tank of gas.

My approach as well. I've not usually been harassed for no front plate or window tint but I man up and pay the fine when I am pulled over.

I think OP's story is a little ridiculous though. I agree with the "reasonable person" approach. I think a reasonable person would allow him to get home and install a front plate if he's far from home.

Users who are viewing this thread