question about head cooling mod and ticking valve

cottondoc

Established Member
I just read in MMFFs magazine that the early terminators had a hot spot in the rear of the drivers side head that could cause an exhaust valve near the area to overheat and start ticking. I have a relatively early build number 2003terminator that I bought used. It is totally stock, and I am sure it hasn't had a cooling head fix kit or anything. It also has a loud tick at idle. The car runs great and has plenty of oil pressure. It smokes a little at start up, but I am assuming that is from the PCV system. If the exhaust valve is damaged and causing the ticking noise, should I not drive the car? Has anybody else had this trouble? Who makes the best head cooling fix kit or should I just get the improved head from Ford? I have another issue too. I think the clutch may be worn out. It engages really close to the floor, and the tranny is kind of hard to shift unless you really press the clutch hard into the floor. The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping though. Any thoughts? Would an adjustable clutch quadrant help? Thanks for any help or info.:)

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Best if you post up a vid. Like on youtube or what not to hear the sound. Injectors tick too so it could be that also. How many miles on the car? Evenflow head cooling mod is widely used here along with LDC also. LDC is limited production though. LDC the tranny needs to drop to install but the evenflow has a PITA freeze plug to remove. Choose your poison.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Best if you post up a vid. Like on youtube or what not to hear the sound. Injectors tick too so it could be that also. How many miles on the car? Evenflow head cooling mod is widely used here along with LDC also. LDC is limited production though. LDC the tranny needs to drop to install but the evenflow has a PITA freeze plug to remove. Choose your poison.

What is difficult.about.removing a freeze plug? 10-15 seconds tops!

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
What is difficult.about.removing a freeze plug? 10-15 seconds tops!

Dont ask me. Ask the poor guy who drilled a hole in the head trying to remove it. Or the other who tore it to pieces and had to bend it in half for removal. Just sayin:shrug:

cottondoc

Established Member
shifting problems

I checked out the FAQs page and found the thread on the clutch adjustment. I trimmed down the metal tab and got one click out of the adjustment. It worked just as advertised. The clutch now engages much higher, and not so close to the floor. It also shifts much better now. I am happy with the shifting since this mod. After reading about the ticking exhaust valve I really think this is the problem with my car. I would still like to make a video, but I just haven't had time yet. I will post a video when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread