Question about high level differences between 99-04 and 96-98 shortblocks and swaps

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
I'm thinking of doing a C head swap with the 97 cobra I own. Is it as "easy" as swapping the heads/intake/fuel rails/coolant crossover/tune ? I know that the sn-95 and new edge cobra motors have the same compression ratio, but if the heads were swapped would the 97 shortblock I have still be at the same compression ratio with the C heads?

C Head intakes:
Are these pretty much the same from the 99-01 cobras to the 03-04 mach 1's? I've heard that the 03-04 mach 1's have a better lower intake, but the intake hat is the same between the years aside from the outside finish. Don't know if there is any truth to that.

Cams:
For a NA car with C heads, are the 99+ cams better, or is there some magical combination of the intake/exhaust cams from the 96-98 and 99+ cams that works better?

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I just did this swap... Except it was a complete engine. The crossover tube needs a bung welded in and to use the 99/01,03/04. The fuel rail I modified to use the return style. I hear the 98 intake cams in the mach heads is a 20hp gain on a Dyno. All the exhaust cams are the same. I've heard the 03/04 mach makes more power than the 99/01 cobras. Idk how true all that is however my car feels 10x stronger than my bolt on 98 cobra engine.

My set up is an 04 mach block and heads with a mach lower and cobra upper intake hat.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
96-98 intake cams are best (more duration) with 99 cams following second.

1BD9D7

Rollin down the road in..
Established Member
The 99 cobra intake will usually be modified from its original state as part of a recall on the cars due to poor power. Probably the best thing would be to source all 03-04 parts. I have read that 1999-2001 cobra heads that have been worked over / ported to improve flow can reach the potential of untouched 03-04 heads.
I just put together an engine for my 97 with a teksid block, 2001 cobra heads and cams, Mach 1 lower intake and 97 upper intake using the custom adapter plate.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You don't have to switch cross over tubes.. I ran C-heads with my 98 crossover tube just fine.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
You don't have to switch cross over tubes.. I ran C-heads with my 98 crossover tube just fine.

I used a Mach 1 crossover ONLY because the tabs were the right ones and my 98 crossover would not fit for the life of me. I was asking around cause the fitment just wasn't right for some reason...

ZeroDCX

Established Member
I used a Mach 1 crossover ONLY because the tabs were the right ones and my 98 crossover would not fit for the life of me. I was asking around cause the fitment just wasn't right for some reason...

I believe he's referring to the Vortech crossover tube. No?

3rd X Cobra

Established Member
C head issue...

Im having a small issue with my 96 Cobra that I did a C head swap on. I did all the stuff you guys spoke of, 01 heads with Comp Stage 2 cams, 2001 intake with spacer, modified crossover tube and fuel rail, etc... Car makes 350 RWHP and runs awesome. Everything was great until I started getting a small leak on both sides, front/top of heads near the timing chain covers. After MUCH research, im finding out theres a different part number for the actual cover. 96-99 part # F8ZZ6019AA (Cobra), superceded for 00-01 # XR3Z6019CA... THEN, for an 03-04 Mach1, # 3R3Z6019AA (also will fit 00-01 Cobra). The heads are off a 2001 that I put on my 96. We took it all apart again, thinking it was a gasket, and got all new stuff AGAIN, and are putting it together now, Im asking you because you did this swap. Hoping you may have an answer for me. I was told numerous times the covers would work in my setup, and didn't have to be changed. Thank you in advance for any help you can give!!!!!!!

Bryan

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Im having a small issue with my 96 Cobra that I did a C head swap on. I did all the stuff you guys spoke of, 01 heads with Comp Stage 2 cams, 2001 intake with spacer, modified crossover tube and fuel rail, etc... Car makes 350 RWHP and runs awesome. Everything was great until I started getting a small leak on both sides, front/top of heads near the timing chain covers. After MUCH research, im finding out theres a different part number for the actual cover. 96-99 part # F8ZZ6019AA (Cobra), superceded for 00-01 # XR3Z6019CA... THEN, for an 03-04 Mach1, # 3R3Z6019AA (also will fit 00-01 Cobra). The heads are off a 2001 that I put on my 96. We took it all apart again, thinking it was a gasket, and got all new stuff AGAIN, and are putting it together now, Im asking you because you did this swap. Hoping you may have an answer for me. I was told numerous times the covers would work in my setup, and didn't have to be changed. Thank you in advance for any help you can give!!!!!!!

Bryan

has already been answered n your thread you started

Users who are viewing this thread