Question about Insurance

Pumpkinator

U.S. Army
Established Member
This question is for FL LEO. I own my motorcycle so do I have to carry insurance on it? I was told that since I own it I don't have too?

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
This question is for FL LEO. I own my motorcycle so do I have to carry insurance on it? I was told that since I own it I don't have too?

I am not a FL LEO, but I'd like to input my opinion if that's okay. I may be wrong, but all states require that you carry a certain amount of MINIMUM liability insurance. This is to cover the expenses/bills of other parties involved in a motor vehicle crash that you have been deemed at fault in. You do not need to carry comprehensive on it, as you are the sole owner and there is not a lien on the bike.

That being said, VA DMV does have a fee you can pay to them to be an "uninsured motorist". This fee is several hundred dollars here. I am not sure if it is a one time fee or a fee you have to pay each time you renew your vehicle registration.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

There is a wording component in the no fault insurance law in Florida that leads people to believe they do not need insurance on their motorcycle unless required by their lienholder, if any.

The Florida Motor Vehicle No-Fault Law, requires all owner/registrants of a motor vehicle with four wheels or more to carry a minimum of $10,000 of Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and $10,000 of property damage liability (PDL) if you own a motor vehicle in Florida. Florida law requires you to maintain PIP/PDL insurance continuously throughout the licensing and registration period

The key is four wheels or more. I cant find where it specifically excludes motorcycles but it certainly would imply that.

Pumpkinator

U.S. Army
Established Member
There is a wording component in the no fault insurance law in Florida that leads people to believe they do not need insurance on their motorcycle unless required by their lienholder, if any.

The key is four wheels or more. I cant find where it specifically excludes motorcycles but it certainly would imply that.

So the law only applies to 4 wheels? That is the way I am reading it. That is great. To hell with insurance companies!!! :pepper:

You are the man SVTFordFan!!

Last edited:

slapshot

Established Member
Correct, the mandatory insurance only applies to motor vehicles, not motorcycles. However, if you do not wear a helmet, then you must show proof of at least $10k of medical coverage.

IMO, it would depend on which bike I owned and what it was worth. If I had a cheap bike, I wouldn't have much insurance on it. if I had an expensive bike, then I would most definitely have it insured. When I had my HD V-Rod, I had it insured for the same amounts as my vehicles due to the costs to repair after a crash, or replace if stolen.

Pumpkinator

U.S. Army
Established Member
Correct, the mandatory insurance only applies to motor vehicles, not motorcycles. However, if you do not wear a helmet, then you must show proof of at least $10k of medical coverage.

IMO, it would depend on which bike I owned and what it was worth. If I had a cheap bike, I wouldn't have much insurance on it. if I had an expensive bike, then I would most definitely have it insured. When I had my HD V-Rod, I had it insured for the same amounts as my vehicles due to the costs to repair after a crash, or replace if stolen.

I wear a helmet. Also the bike is payed for so If it someone hits me then I will use the money that I would be paying the insurance company $106.00 dollars a month. They want to charge me that and I am 39 years old, last accident was when I was 16, no tickets in the last 15 years!!!! So the insurance company can kiss my ass!!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this matter!! By the way I own a 2005 ZX10R... :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread