question about intake. HELP

WoolSVT02

#3230 of 4726
Established Member
So i installed my new cold air intake. a few days later my check engine light came on so i took it to the Ford dealership and they had it for a couple days. Well they ended up calling me back and telling me the engine light was on because it was getting too much air because of the intake and that i needed to bring the stock intake back for them to stick on. So i brought the stock intake back and they called me later that day and said the light went off.. i have 1 questions for this:

1. Does this mean I need to buy a programmer? Or are they just bullshitting me?

anyone had this problem?

truck has 4500 miles on it, original owner 2002 L

Thanks

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
What kind of intake did you end up putting on the truck??? Also did you remember to hook up the vac lines and the sensor that goes back into the intake tube?? I've never heard of to much air going into the motor unless your dealing with one hell of a built block.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
dosent sound rite..........i say get a programmer(predator or sct2-3) then you can save money by not taking it to ford to read or turn off trouble codes.

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
what kind of intake is that? looks bigger than a stock 90mm maf. if that is the case then they are not lying to you and it needs to be tuned.

so9956

Established Member
i installed the K&N CAI on my '04 L and the same thing happened, called K&N and they said that the computer has to get used to the larger amount of air being taken in, they said give about 40 miles and the CEL should go off and sure enough it did

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
i installed the K&N CAI on my '04 L and the same thing happened, called K&N and they said that the computer has to get used to the larger amount of air being taken in, they said give about 40 miles and the CEL should go off and sure enough it did

as far as i know the kn kit uses the stock maf housing, the kit shown above uses a large pipe for a housing so the computer need to be tuned for that size housing. a kn kit should not need a tune but it is always a good idea.

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
The pipe Can't be larger than 90mm, it's connected to the stock elbow. I've never heard of an aftermarket elbow making the light come on...and for future reference, Autozone or Advance can take care of the light for you...free

Its not the maf housing though, b/c its stock size

red-light

I see the light
Established Member
The pipe Can't be larger than 90mm, it's connected to the stock elbow. I've never heard of an aftermarket elbow making the light come on...and for future reference, Autozone or Advance can take care of the light for you...free

Its not the maf housing though, b/c its stock size

the elbow is stock.
it looks like a motoblue intake which is a 95mm maf. the stock elbow is made of rubber, it will stretch 5 mm.

Robert Francis

Established Member
The aftermarket air intakes by themselves shouldn't throw a "CEL" and you don't need to put your stock box back on. However I note in your picture that the MAF is rotated 90 degreees from stock position and that can sometimes cause a "CEL" to come on.

soniclightning

Established Member
I used to have that intake way back in the day. I installed it with a bunch of other parts and I do remember getting a code saying something about too much air flow. It is indeed a 95 mm intake. I installed a canned predator tune after installing it and the code went away.

4rdsvtdriver

Drive it like u stole it!
Established Member

Bigger MAF will give you the SES light w/ out a tune for sure. I threw on the C&L 95MM unit and I talked to C&L and they told me it shouldn't give you a SES light b/c you transfer the stock electronics over to the C&L housing. They were WRONG! When I checked the codes it was throwing w/ my old Predator. It was dumping so much fuel into the passenger side bank I could smell it in the cab. Took off the MAF and replaced w/ the stocker. Problem solved!

WoolSVT02

#3230 of 4726
Established Member
i am just going to buy and tuner and gonna pick from this package
1. Kit Includes

-LFP Lightweight Aluminum Mounting Hub
-Your Choice of a 2#,4#,6#,8# Aluminum Pulley Ring (Anodized for Stronger Belt Contact)
-14mm Hex Head Tool
-Converter Lock-Up Tool
-Allen Bolt Hardware
-Proper Sized Goodyear Gatoback Belt
-Diablo Sport Predator Tuner
-NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (Recommended when Adding Boost)
-160 or 180 Degree Thermostat

2. Kit Includes

-LFP Lightweight Aluminum Mounting Hub
-Your Choice of a 2#,4#,6#,8# Aluminum Pulley Ring (Anodized for Stronger Belt Contact)
-14mm Hex Head Tool
-Converter Lock-Up Tool
-Allen Bolt Hardware
-Proper Sized Goodyear Gatoback Belt
-SCT XCal3 Tuner (Custom Tuned to your Lightning / Harley)
-NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (Recommended when Adding Boost)
-160 or 180 Degree Thermostat

I also just bought a Bassani BX catback exhaust to replace the flowmaster exhaust i have. I figure in order to keep this intake on i need the tuner, if not im gonna have to buy a new one. any feedback on which tuner is preferbly better would be appreciated.

WoolSVT02

#3230 of 4726
Established Member
looking to get some quick HP and figured exhaust. cold air intake, superchip and lower pulley would give me some... Any other ideas?? sorry for all the ?'s, im new to the lightning, i have 2 mustangs and the truck seems to be a lot diff. i have an 02 cobra and a 88 gt.

Users who are viewing this thread