Question about lowering springs

Mikesan

First Mustang
Established Member
I bought and received some Ford Racing lowering springs. All I'm looking to do is lower the stance. Any additional benefit is just extra. I'm going to have a shop install them. In addition to getting an alignment after they are installed is there anything else I need to buy or have done? Looks like suspensions can get pretty tricky. I'm just looking for a simple lowering. I expect the ride will be a little harsher but handling will improve some. Will any "geometry" get thrown off by just installing the springs? Thanks for any help with this, I'm, a total newbie at suspension work.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Lowering your car will change geomentry, It will move your rear end out of alignment, you’ll also need new shocks and struts down the road, it will also change your pinion angle.
If your going to do it right you can’t just change springs. My 2 cents!
If you want more info PM me I’ll send you my Phone number and we can talk about it!

Tim

GTG

Looking for a Money Pit
Established Member
LR 01 Cobra said:
Lowering your car will change geomentry, It will move your rear end out of alignment, you’ll also need new shocks and struts down the road, it will also change your pinion angle.
If your going to do it right you can’t just change springs. My 2 cents!
If you want more info PM me I’ll send you my Phone number and we can talk about it!

Tim

When I lowered my Mach, I asked about it changing the pinion angle. The shop owner told me it doesn't change the pinion angle, its more like putting a couple of fat chicks in the trunk, or your luggage or whatever. He continued to tell me that people get confused about what pinion angle does and when you really need to worry about it. Worrying about adjusting the pinion angle is more for drag racers so they can fine tune their launch. Again, this is all what the shop owner told me.

LR is right about going to need shocks that match your springs down the road. How long usually depends on how far you lowered the car. I'm not sure how the caster and camber is adjusted on the 05+ Mustangs, but you should make sure that is set correctly for the street. You'll wear through tires unevenly for sure. Start looking into coilover setups or suspension packages that are meant to work together for when your shocks wear out. Maximum Motorsports sells several along with Griggs (expensive but worth it). Their packages will come with shocks to match the springs along with some other neat little parts. I had one from MM and loved it on my Mach. Doing suspension right is always tricky and usually costly. There will always be something extra you could add to help with this or that. For example bump steer kits or offset bushings, the list goes on and on.

Hope this helps.

Gary

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Camber Bolts adjust camber on 05+ cars.
I like to Drag racer, I guess that's why I worry about pinion angle so much! LOL

CAMBER BOLTS

BMR's 2 degree camber bolts are used for adjusting camber on the OE and aftermarket struts. The 2005+ Mustang has no camber adjustment from the factory. When lowered 1" or more, the car begins to develop negative camber resulting in premature tire wear. It is possible to gain 2 degrees of camber with one pair of bolts. If you need additional camber adjustment, 2 pairs of bolts can be used and will allow 4 degrees total. Priced per pair.

FC001 2 Degree camber bolts $39.95 pair

chuckstang

Established Member
Tim, both the KR and SS will come lowered and not have these camber bolts or anything to address pinion angle. I think Ford would have addressed this stuff for a production car? I think it depends on how much you lower it. The FRPP springs only lower 1.25 inches so it really will not throw anything that far off. An alignment should be fine.
Ive seen a half dozen GT500s lowered with no other mods and the owners expressed no problems.

Althought it certainly will help to have the pinion angle and such dialed in perfect for strip or road course use!

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
Eibach is in the process of producing an adjustable coilover set up. One where you could dial in your ride height as well as your dampening with a ten way adjustable shock and strut. That would be the multipro and is a few months out. They will also have out shortly the prostreet-S which will lower the car with no further ride adjustment along with an adjustable shock and strut. Im thinking one of these setups along with the rear lca, uca and panhard rod set up and new sway bars should get me where i wanna be

Users who are viewing this thread