Question about my makeshift/budget drag setup in the works

SBVERT03

Established Member
I've been trying to piece together a bit of a budget drag setup so that I can try out the track without breaking the bank before I decide whether it's something I see myself doing regularly. If I really like it I'll pick up some welds or bogarts.

For rears I picked up some 16" pony wheels. I'm looking for suggestions for a rear tire. I obviously want a bias ply, but am not sure on height and width. Being street legal would be nice, but isn't necessary. My car made 626/578, has IRS with a bushing kit and upgraded half shafts, and 3.55s.

For fronts I was planning on going with the 17" SVE front runners. However, while at the junk yard picking up the pony wheels I ran across a 17x4 spare in great condition. After a little research I think it came from a Ford Escape or explorer. It looks extremely similar to the cobra spare, so I got the idea that maybe I could run some skinny tires on it and my cobra spare. It was 9 bucks so I went ahead and picked it up. I still haven't gotten a chance to see if it'll even clear the brakes, but is this a terrible idea?

I also need suggestions on a 17" bias ply front tire as well. Again, it'd be great if I could drive them on the street to the track, but it's not required.

Rambro

Established Member
I plan on using the 28x10x16 Hoosier stiff wall 18153C07 with the ponys. Up front I plan to run 15x3.5 sve fronts with bolt on 1 inch spacer and the 8 ply MT sportsman fronts.

SBVERT03

Established Member
I plan on using the 28x10x16 Hoosier stiff wall 18153C07 with the ponys. Up front I plan to run 15x3.5 sve fronts with bolt on 1 inch spacer and the 8 ply MT sportsman fronts.

Sounds like a good plan! Do you need extended lugs to run the 15's w/ a spacer up front?

SBVERT03

Established Member
No not if you use a bolt on spacer that have the studs in them.

Right on thanks man. I'll definitely look into that.

I'm leaning towards one of these options for up front if I go with 17's. Does anybody have experience with either?

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/phx-ph427

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-18109

Also, I should have mentioned in my original post that my car is lowered on H&R race springs and sits fairly low in the rear and very low in the front.

Users who are viewing this thread