Question about new DFX Clutch

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
I just finished installin my new DFX setup today with a Fidanza flywheel, and Liberty Gears 26 spline input shaft. My problem is that the clutch doesn't engage until right at the very top of the pedal travel. As such, if I romp on the gas, it slips pretty good. Driving nice, it's fine, just can't hit the gas hard. My main question is whether or not a Clutch Cable Firewall Adjuster will be able to fix this problem?

I appreciate any knowledge on the topic.

rmgtc01

Established Member
The DFX maxed out my stock adjuster, and then it broke on me. I got aftermarket stuff in mine installed after a tow to Lamotta and it did allow for better adjustment. It grabs great with no slip, but I need to mess with it because it get a slight vibe at the top when pushing in.

HawkMech

Wildhorses Rule!!!
Established Member
Thanx man. I ordered a new quadrant, firewall adjuster, and adjustable clutch cable this morning. Hopefully that will fix it. I'm not planning to put in the adjustable cable unless I just can't get everything right with the firewall adjuster, but figured might as well have it just in case.

badboy

Done with it!
Established Member
With the same setup, I ended up needing the adjustable cable. I have a Fiore adjuster, Steeda quick release quad and I just added the steeda adj cable. works great but may not last since many say the cable will not hold up. We'll see. BTW, I had the DFX and ended up replacing the disk with an LM disk because I hated the chatter. Now I am happy.

rmgtc01

Established Member
2 SLOW said:
most clutches need a break-in period... you know that right?

Mine still has some chatter after 2k miles. You definitely need to learn the sweet spot to engage the clutch to minimize or eliminate chatter...or just power through it.

FYI. I have a UPR triple hook for more variables in adjustment, the quick release only has 1.
So far no issues with the cable other than a slight vibe at the top of the pedal. Anyone else have this? I think I just need to play with the adjuster a little more.

2 SLOW

Keepin' it real
Established Member
rmgtc01 said:
Mine still has some chatter after 2k miles. You definitely need to learn the sweet spot to engage the clutch to minimize or eliminate chatter...or just power through it.

Rev it up to 5000rpm and drop the clutch, that has taken care of the chatter in my past cars :)

rmgtc01

Established Member
2 SLOW said:
Rev it up to 5000rpm and drop the clutch, that has taken care of the chatter in my past cars :)

Seriously?? Or is that sarcasm for kill the transmission? :shrug:

rmgtc01

Established Member
2 SLOW said:
I was being serious. That's how we get the chatter out of the Spec clutches.

What exactly does that do to make the chatter go away? Also with almost no slip on clutch, a 10 spline, and stock half shafts is that a safe thing to do?
I would be happy for some chatter to go away, but I don't want to be broke in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread