Question about race fuel

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
This is kind of a spin off of this thread: http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528883

I was looking at Toluene mixture formulas yesterday untill I found out that the price of it is about $20/gal. So I started thinking of race fuel.

I just did a quick search on VP Racing's website and realized that there is much more to it than just going to the store and buying a can of race fuel. I knew they offered different octanes, but I had no idea that there were soooo many octanes for so many different applications.

What I am looking to do is make a mix of pump 87 and race fuel to get the 93 octane that I should be running. I saw that they have leaded and unleaded fuels available. I know that the leaded fuel will clog your cats, but I dont have cats....does that mean I can run leaded fuel? What other parts will leaded fuel harm?

Does anyone have a reccomendation of what brand/type of race fuel to go with?

Thanks for any input guys.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Alrighty, lets see if i can help any.

1) The torlyene or however you spell it method is junk. These guys can say what they want about using it and it working but i would never put that shit in my tank. I know what all of the blending fluids are in these fuels and theres a helluva lot more than that.

2) You can run either Leaded or Unleaded. However do you still have 02 sensors? Taking your cats offs helps but im guessing you still have oxygen sensors? If you do.....after a period of time of running leaded fuels they will be shot and you will have to replace. Other than Cats and Sensors, the leaded fuels act as Lube for parts inside your engine so its really a great thing to run if you can. It is illigeal by the DOT just incase you get stoped but most of the time cops could really give two shits.

3) If your looking to get an 93+ mix with race gas there are a ton of options you could do.

As far as brands to recc. VP Race fuels is oustanding, amazing quailty of fuels but they come at a price. They are the most expensive but again your paying for the percise quailty. You'd want one of these VP MS103, MS109, Streetblaze 100

I also sell fuels for Sunoco (You'd want the GT PLus unleaded or GT 100 Unleaded) Which are also great fuels and a little cheaper than VP's fuels.

Torco use to have a great setup, but with changing owners and quailty isnt proven yet i'd stay away.

There are so many things to go through, but ill let you respond with more questions and ill help if i can.

Last edited:

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Alrighty, lets see if i can help any.

1) The torlyene or however you spell it method is junk. These guys can say what they want about using it and it working but i would never put that shit in my tank. I know what all of the blending fluids are in these fuels and theres a helluva lot more than that.
Well, I have crossed the Toluene route off my list because of the price. That shiit is outragous and to make one tank of 87 turn into 94 it would cost me almost $140
2) You can run either Leaded or Unleaded. However do you still have 02 sensors? Taking your cats offs helps but im guessing you still have oxygen sensors? If you do.....after a period of time of running leaded fuels they will be shot and you will have to replace. Other than Cats and Sensors, the leaded fuels act as Lube for parts inside your engine so its really a great thing to run if you can. It is illigeal by the DOT just incase you get stoped but most of the time cops could really give two shits.
I do still have 02 sensors in the car and I know those aren't cheap, however, I do have 2 spares:-D I think this will probably be a temporary fix untill the GA gas gets back to normal
3) If your looking to get an 93+ mix with race gas there are a ton of options you could do.
Yes, this is exactly what I want to do
As far as brands to recc. VP Race fuels is oustanding, amazing quailty of fuels but they come at a price. They are the most expensive but again your paying for the percise quailty. You'd want one of these VP MS103, MS109, Streetblaze 100

I also sell fuels for Sunoco (You'd want the GT PLus unleaded or GT 100 Unleaded) Which are also great fuels and a little cheaper than VP's fuels.

Torco use to have a great setup, but with changing owners and quailty isnt proven yet i'd stay away.

Thanks a lot. This is exactly what kind of information I am looking for. Where can I go to buy this stuff? I have called 2 local motorcycle shops and they both quit dealing fuel. I looked on VP's site to "find local distributers" but it only listed one address in GA....there has to be more than that...right?

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
lucky for you, you have no idea...lol. check this link.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528883

I did a search in my zipcode trying to find a gas station w/premium. I found 31 gas stations, 5 of which had premium and I went to 3 of those and they were out by the time I got there.

Eeek, that blows. Guess your only option is to try a mixture at this point. It's gonna be expensive though. Maybe just drive like a granny and drop the timing in your tune until premium is available again. Atleast you will save some money this way.

If you have to run at least 93 for personal reasons, I have always run a bottle of Torco when I wanted that added protection. But a 32oz bottle of Torco would only bring your 87 up to about 90-91. you could just order a 50 gallon drum of C16 or something, but if you daily drive your car you will be going thorugh that stuff pretty quick. No matter what you choose it's gonna be hella expensive in the interim.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Eeek, that blows. Guess your only option is to try a mixture at this point. It's gonna be expensive though. Maybe just drive like a granny and drop the timing in your tune until premium is available again. Atleast you will save some money this way.

If you have to run at least 93 for personal reasons, I have always run a bottle of Torco when I wanted that added protection. But a 32oz bottle of Torco would only bring your 87 up to about 90-91. you could just order a 50 gallon drum of C16 or something, but if you daily drive your car you will be going thorugh that stuff pretty quick. No matter what you choose it's gonna be hella expensive in the interim.

Yeah, it sucks bad. Is the Torco you speak of just a normal Octane booster or some special blend? The reason I ask is because typical octane boosters will say that it raises the octane say, 3 points. If you put that in 93 octane gas, you will then have 93.3 octane, not 96 like it makes you think.

but yeah, it will get expensive. So far I have driven over 50 miles and not gotten over 2500RPMs. Its torture I tell you, but the good news is the needle is still on full:lol1:

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Oh yeah, I posted this thread up on another forum and someone chimed in and said that leaded fuel will mess up injectors....any truth to this?

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Torco is just a standard octane booster. One that has been tested and used very successfully by many people here. I don't have the exact chart of the actual octane numbers, maybe IronTerp will chime in with it, but it was something close to the following:

5 gallons 93 octane + 32oz Torco = 101 octane
10 gallons 93 octane + 32oz Torco = 98 octane
15 gallons 93 octane + 32oz Torco = 96 octane.

I always just ran a bottle, 32oz, with every fill up to bring my octane up to 96. My tune was for 93 octane but I just felt safer having the Torco in there. I still have 2 six packs of it in my garage.

I never heard of leaded fuel fouling the injectors, just the o2 sensors and cats.

DieselNuts

¯\_(ò.Ó)_/¯
Established Member
Thanks for the information. What is this torco called and how much does it cost? I might pick some up on the way home today

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
I was looking at Toluene mixture formulas yesterday untill I found out that the price of it is about $20/gal. So I started thinking of race fuel.

Is that really the best price you can get on it? My brother bought a 45gallon drum for about $400CDN last year. Toluene really isn't a bad solution, people seem to not understand that Toluene is already present in gasoline you buy at the pumps. It's not some crazy whackjob idea to add it to gasoline, there is just a limit to how much you can add to your fuel. Toluene is an aromatic so it doesn't burn perfectly clean and that's why there is a limit to how much you can add, but you can definitely add some and since Toluene is 114 octane it can certainly help you raise your octane.

My brother raises his octane from 91 to 94 with toluene and we haven't seen any ill side-effects yet. Spark plugs looked nice and clean, exhaust is clean etc.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
I found some gas by me today :)... My car is a DD too and it hasn't moved since I got back from the meet last Saturday. Well, I found a BP a few miles away from me that had just gotten some 93 in. I waited in line for about 1 hour. Just keep looking and you will find it. I think Sunco carries 100+ octane. Maybe try calling them and see if they have any. All I can say is, don't waste your gas looking for gas. That is only going to slow everything down more.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
i just got two cases last week from there they told me there isnt much left so if you need it get it soon

Yeah, there was a big scare at Torco a few weeks ago so people have been ordering this stuff like crazy. For now Torco is filling the orders, but who knows how long that will last? I still have 12 bottles at home and since I went turbo and only run 15# of boost it will probably last me a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread