Question about securing front door

MLMike25

Established Member
I am interested in securing my front door to help prevent kick-ins and I'd like to get different opinions on what might be the best way to go. (BTW, I know that a kick plate is a good idea, but I'd like to get feedback on this for right now).

I'm definitely installing a Tri-Bolt Tri-Bolt for Safety, Security and Weatherproofing - Home. Essentially it adds another bolt to the top of the door.

I'd like to know what would be more effective...

Would it be more effective to add a 2nd tribolt to the bottom of the door OR would it be more effective to upgrade the "factory" deadbolt in the middle of the door?

Off the top of my head, I would think adding a 2nd tribolt to the bottom of the door would make the door slightly harder to kick in since there's a bolt at the top, middle, and bottom of the door... right? Would that be more effective than having a tribolt at the top and an upgraded deadbolt in the middle (and nothing at the bottom)?

clbailey

Established Member
Do you live in the middle of Compton? Sounds like you should move somewhere were your more comfortable and safe.

If someone wants in your house, they will get in. Im not sure what to tell you about the locks though im sure adding more points of contact would disperse the force from a kick in better than one deadbolt slide into a stud.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Here is what I use
Sargent & Greenleaf | Sliding Deadbolts

One at the top of the door with the length aligned perpendicular to the floor.
The other is horizontally mounted (parallel to the floor)

They have a device that is mounted into the floor that uses a door block.

MLMike25

Established Member
Do you live in the middle of Compton? Sounds like you should move somewhere were your more comfortable and safe.

If someone wants in your house, they will get in. Im not sure what to tell you about the locks though im sure adding more points of contact would disperse the force from a kick in better than one deadbolt slide into a stud.

No I don't live in Compton. What an ignorant thing to ask. You think break ins only happen in "bad" neighborhoods? And as if moving is as easy as buying new socks right?

I'm trying to be proactive about home protection instead of waiting for something bad to happen and THEN deciding to do something about it.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Deadbolt the hell out of it... as for the tribolt.. they break kinda easy... (kick ins). Even a kick plate will break with a ram bar. A guy running full force will break most things you can do... unless you wanna put bars across your door and into. Your walls attached to the studs... you are about at you max with dead bolts... best bet... get a gun put a sign up.. go pay for an alarm and put their sign in your yard

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

MLMike25

Established Member
Deadbolt the hell out of it... as for the tribolt.. they break kinda easy... (kick ins). Even a kick plate will break with a ram bar. A guy running full force will break most things you can do... unless you wanna put bars across your door and into. Your walls attached to the studs... you are about at you max with dead bolts... best bet... get a gun put a sign up.. go pay for an alarm and put their sign in your yard

The gun and the alarm are done. I'm focussing on the front door. Thx.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
When they broke into my garage they actually bent a steel door with a deadbolt until they could get in. What I did to deter (you can't stop a thief only slow him down) was the following. I put in an extra deadbolt top and bottom along with the one in the center. All keyed the same. Get the locks at Lowes, you can set them yourself. I then put 1/8 inch x 1 1/2 inch flat steel inside the wall beams for the deadbolts to go thru. I then put the same bars down the outside. They should not be able to "bend the wall" enough to get a pry bar in there to bend the door. Definitely make sure you reinforce the wall where your deadbolts slide into. If they kick hard enough the door frame will let go if you don't reinforce. Good luck.

Last edited:

SuperG

Established Member
I am not sure what systems are out there, but for front doors, deadbolts are only as good as the amount of strong wood they are mounted to and inserted into. Typically, that is only an inch or two.

Kicking in a door sounds like slamming a door shut. That is why most people do not investigate the sound and unfortunately many homes have been invaded this way.

Best thing to do is find a metal sleeve (3 sided) that wraps around the deadbolt area and 1000# screws (this strengthens the door) and the frame portion would need 4" 1000# screws (long enough to go into both 2 x 4's that make up the door frame). I have seen them around and have seen videos of police testing these concepts and trying to break in the door and fail, until they brought in some heavier equipment.

MLMike25

Established Member
When they broke into my garage they actually bent a steel door with a deadbolt until they could get in. What I did to deter (you can't stop a thief only slow him down) was the following. I put in an extra deadbolt top and bottom along with the one in the center. All keyed the same. Get the locks at Lowes, you can set them yourself. I then put 1/8 inch x 1 1/2 inch flat steel inside the wall beams for the deadbolts to go thru. I then put the same bars down the outside. They should not be able to "bend the wall" enough to get a pry bar in there to bend the door. Definitely make sure you reinforce the wall where your deadbolts slide into. If they kick hard enough the door frame will let go if you don't reinforce. Good luck.

Thx

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Unless you have a metal door with a steel reinforced frame that is lag bolted to the studs, it will come down. If you are that concerned with the front door, replace it with a security door installed properly.

Also for now you want leverage protection. So bracing the door is a better idea for now.

Buddybar door jammer

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Unless you have a metal door with a steel reinforced frame that is lag bolted to the studs, it will come down. If you are that concerned with the front door, replace it with a security door installed properly.

Also for now you want leverage protection. So bracing the door is a better idea for now.

Buddybar door jammer

It looks like what I put up in post #8. I think Master Lock makes one for about 25$

Monster Mach

Established Member
It's not just the door, but the door frame itself that must be reinforced.

Qft... you can have a 2ton door but the frame is made out of scrap wood... ( I used to make doors for what a company that supplies doors to lowes and home depot.. masonite dorfab or reliabuilt doors). Beef up your frame with actual metal plates and have it go into the walls or into the studs... it will not let you down... trust me

Monster Mach

Established Member
Another thing.. get a metal screen door... something heavy.. something you would hear open up throughout the house.. something that can also be secured... but anyway... your windows are the real weakpoint

MLMike25

Established Member
LOL @ OP wanting to reinforce his door from SWAT team battering ram.

Lol, that's not really it. I've heard several stories lately of people's front doors being kicked in (in the middle of the day mind you). Going all out on home security AFTER your house gets broken into is too late. I work from home when I'm not traveling, so I'd like to give myself every chance to get to the shotty if my house gets picked. ;-)

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Lol, that's not really it. I've heard several stories lately of people's front doors being kicked in (in the middle of the day mind you). Going all out on home security AFTER your house gets broken into is too late. I work from home when I'm not traveling, so I'd like to give myself every chance to get to the shotty if my house gets picked. ;-)

Where do you live?

Its interesting, If I was gonna invade a house, it wouldnt be through the front door.......ill pick a house that has a garage side entrance that leads to usually the kitchen, or like we had here in my neighborhood, guys breaking through the kitchen window (until one dude slit his hand on the glass, and they did the whole CSI thing and found the guy at a hospital getting stitches. Now he has to get stitches weekly on his bunghole) or other more easily penetrable entry points. Especially If you are getting cased and they know you arent home, might as well take their time, go through the back, and just umm......open the front door from inside on their way out.

But yeah, breakins usually happen in the good neighborhoods by people coming from the bad neighborhoods to steal good shit. You would be a sorry thief if youre breaking/entering into some ghetto house, not gonna find no 55" plasma, new surround sound, jewelry, etc. I used to leave my car unlocked at my girls house (she lived in the middle of the ghetto, seriously, the ghetto's ghetto) with no worry. Why? Ghetto people dont steal from their own ghetto. Plus not to mention id rather them grab my free pos Kenwood cd player that came with the car that I can replace for $100 with any newer Alpine base model, than them have rip the top and have to spend $700 for a new top.

MLMike25

Established Member
Where do you live?

I live in a part of Orlando called Apopka.

I've had this inexplicable nagging feeling that my house is gonna get broken into. I'm very paranoid and crazy I know. So I figured I'd better act on my paranoia and secure my house as best as I can.

I'd hate myself eternally if I ignored myself and my house actually does get broken into.

Users who are viewing this thread