Question about strut tower braces

chuckstang

Established Member
Why do some 2011/12's have them and so do not?

Also, why are there so many different ones offered by Ford...I have seen multiple different pieces at different car shows.

Are any one better than the other and what purpose do they serve if any?

I feel like the front end on my car could use a bit stiffening up but don't wana drop $180 for nothing.

I thought maybe it was the Brembo cars that only got one but Ive seen some like mine that came with them on the lots :shrug:

Also, maybe someone on here put a blower or boss intake on and wants to sell me theres ;-)

Skrapmetal

Established Member
I know for sure that it is included with the Brembo package, but perhaps it is a part of another package as well... or just an available option on its own?

Last edited:

PhantomX

Established Member
The premium cars get them as well. The base ones or strippers, don't. They all function the same, stiffen the front and tie the unibody together to prevent flex just pick one you like the looks of. Do take into account any other changes you may want to make later like adding a supercharger or boss intake, some will fit and some won't. Better to spend the $$ once...

chuckstang

Established Member
they really look nice IMO compared to what they used to put on the Mustangs like for instance the one that came on my gt500 looks like junk and not even worthy of test fitting on the new 5.0 lol

I just dont think they look $180 nice if it doesnt add any rigidity or stiffness etc

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Any car that leaves the factory with 19" wheels comes with the brace. This is the brembo cars and premiums. I suppose if you option a delux with 19" wheels (even possible?) you'd get one too.

Whether or not there's any benefit is debatable. The chassis is fairly stiff on these cars to begin with. Not to mention the way the brace mounts doesn't really transfer much load at all. My guess is that it's more of a style thing. A true brace would mount to all of the strut bolts and likely include firewall mounts to curb any cowl shake that might be occurring.

However, if all you're doing with this car is driving around town, or going to the drag strip, it's just a bit of added weight. You'll see zero benefit from it in those situations.

chuckstang

Established Member
Any car that leaves the factory with 19" wheels comes with the brace. This is the brembo cars and premiums. I suppose if you option a delux with 19" wheels (even possible?) you'd get one too.

Whether or not there's any benefit is debatable. The chassis is fairly stiff on these cars to begin with. Not to mention the way the brace mounts doesn't really transfer much load at all. My guess is that it's more of a style thing. A true brace would mount to all of the strut bolts and likely include firewall mounts to curb any cowl shake that might be occurring.

However, if all you're doing with this car is driving around town, or going to the drag strip, it's just a bit of added weight. You'll see zero benefit from it in those situations.

Interesting. Yeah there is definite cowl shake at times, although had it with my gt500 as well but cant really remember if the brace helped or not on or off.

Im checking the market place for a used one, I figure whats 50-100 bucks, if it doesnt help or dont like it, sell it or toss it in the basement lol

Ive got a steeda panhard rod and brace waiting to go in...hoping that will stiffen up the rear a bit

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
The premium cars get them as well. The base ones or strippers, don't. They all function the same, stiffen the front and tie the unibody together to prevent flex just pick one you like the looks of. Do take into account any other changes you may want to make later like adding a supercharger or boss intake, some will fit and some won't. Better to spend the $$ once...

My base model brembo car came with it.

Entrenched

Established Member
19" wheels or vert and you get the brace on the 5.0

I'm running the v6/boss brace and had it powdercoated to match.

DSC_0120.jpg

Erich

Established Member
It may also help over time to keep things from loosening up.
Erich

ViciousJay

Established Member

mine didnt :cuss:

Users who are viewing this thread