Question About T56 Into An 01 Cobra

MineralGrey

Established Member
Hi guys I am looking into putting a t56 tranny into my 01 cobra. Can you give me some links to were I can buy it? I know they sell it in kits but can you also give me links were to get a driveshaft and the crossmember? Also do I need any wiring for it? or anything else

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
first off seach this topic out. countless threads on it w/ all the info you need. d&d performance sells it all. Just get the driveshaft from an 03/04 cobra and get the pinion flange for it. simple and no odd ball u joints that no parts stores stock. No wiring needed unless you want to use the reverse solenoid. I don't and getting into reverse isn't that tough like many people claim. Its a bolt in, no different than doing a clutch. I didn't need to clearnace the tranny tunnel either like some did. Seach the classifieds. Lots of auto cobra guys selling their T56's. Thats how I got mine and I got upgrades with it too.

MineralGrey

Established Member
I tried searching and found some info. I aksed the question because new companies come out some close the world does change so search isnt the best thing. atleast in my opinion. Thanks for the info though Notch. D&Ds kit is nice but alittle pricey I think but i wont know for sure until I find out more info.

Another question I have an 01 Cobra with an 03 Solid axle. When I get a driveshaft do I just get one for an 03/04 cobra?

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
I tried searching and found some info. I aksed the question because new companies come out some close the world does change so search isnt the best thing. atleast in my opinion. Thanks for the info though Notch. D&Ds kit is nice but alittle pricey I think but i wont know for sure until I find out more info.

Another question I have an 01 Cobra with an 03 Solid axle. When I get a driveshaft do I just get one for an 03/04 cobra?

no because like your '01 originally, the 03/04 also have an IRS.

SVTHII

Banned
no because like your '01 originally, the 03/04 also have an IRS.

that shouldn't be a determining factor.

if you're using your stock shaft now, then yes.

Last edited:

triplethreat

I got the Viper Spec T-56 from D&D it came with the trans, new alum drive shaft, new crossmember,new 26 spline clutch, short throw shifter with shipping to Hawaii for under$4k. Call them up first and talk to them they will help you with what ever you need! They will ask you all the right questions even future mods makes no sense to buy a new trans that cant support the power. My install was a 3 out of 10 (long tubes with stock k member made it interesting.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I got the Viper Spec T-56 from D&D it came with the trans, new alum drive shaft, new crossmember,new 26 spline clutch, short throw shifter with shipping to Hawaii for under$4k. Call them up first and talk to them they will help you with what ever you need! They will ask you all the right questions even future mods makes no sense to buy a new trans that cant support the power. My install was a 3 out of 10 (long tubes with stock k member made it interesting.

:nonono: After making that post I have no clue why you went to a GT500. I think that was such a bad move.

99ribman

Established Member
Just looking for verification, some people say you need the pinion flange some say you don't??

MineralGrey

Established Member
Thanks SVTH11.
I like D&Ds kit but I found rebuilt t56s for $1,700.00. I think if i bought that and found the rest of the pieces it would be cheaper then their Kit for $2900.00. I just cant find were to buy the cross member or driveshaft. I figured the people on here would point me to the best places.

Let me make sure im looking for all the right stuff. If I buy a t56 i need a driveshaft, cross member, and a shifter. Anything else??

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
A crossmember is 38.00 at Late model restoration. Driveshafts go from 125-250 on here. Keep your eyes open and check ebay. Im getting ready to do the same swap as you

RoyWoods

Established Member
Check with Steve at Tousley Ford (see Sticky) for some of your remaining parts. When I do the swap, I'll get my transmission and crossmember from him. Then, I'll get an MGW shifter directly from MGW, and a CF driveshaft from www.pstds.com. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Just looking for verification, some people say you need the pinion flange some say you don't??

The 03 has a bigger u joint than a 2001. You can use an oddball u joint that fits the bigger 03 shaft and the 01 flange. Best thing to do is upgrade the pinion flange. It only take a couple minutes to install and that way you get the proper u joints and also if you ever have to replace them you can just go to the parts and odds are it will be in stock. I upgraded the pinion flange when I swapped mine out using the 03 shaft. It fit together perfect and I have had 0 problems.

I will agree with others and say that any ford parts you need Steve @ Tousley Ford is the one to go to.

MineralGrey

Established Member
Looks like Ill check with steve didnt even think about that. Oh and roy thanks for the link to the driveshafts I used to have that site and i change computers and couldnt remember it

Users who are viewing this thread