Question about the head tick

jimh

Established Member
I have a fairly loud ticking noise but I'm not sure if just a loud motor or not.

A question for those who know. Can the tick be heard from the engine compartment with the hood open? I can hear it from outside the car, it's a pretty obvious sound. More on the drivers side than the passengers. But when I open the hood to listen near the valve covers i just hear the injectors clicking. When I close the hood it muffles the injectors and I hear the other ticking

Do EGR valves make noise? I'm wondering if it's that. I understand that these engines are noisier than normal engines and I'm ok with that. I just want to be sure it's not abnormal. BTW my car's build date was March or April 2003, so there is only a slight chance that the heads are pre Nov. 2002 castings.

Thanks,
jim

Phxcobra

Established Member
Sounds the same as my car. Can't hear it from the engine bay, but I can hear a slight ticking from the wheel well. Not very loud though. Not sure if it's the head tick or not. I guess time will tell, see if it gets worse.

edit - My builld date is 4/03 for what it's worth.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Usually, you wont be able to hear it with the hood open. You need to listen right in the drivers side front wheel well. Thats the best place to listen for it.

Its really hard to say if you have the tick or not by just describing it on the net. If you want, you could always just go to your dealer and have them listen to it and see what they think. Although, there is a good chance they wont know what to listen for either :lol1: Either way, if you want to play it safe, your best bet is to just go to the dealer and see what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread