Question About the New Hemi Engines

roushcobra2003

Established Member
So a co worker and I got into a heated arguement about the new hemi engines. I told him it's not a true hemispherical head and that 2003 Cobra's are more hemispherical that the new hemi's and that is why it produces more hp and blah blah blah. He goes off on saying that it says hemi on the engine. I went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi where I got information but I need more sources.
This second paragraph had nothing to do with my question sorry.
So can someone help a fellow car enthusiast out and explain what the difference is?

Last edited:
The Hemi is a nameplate at this point.

I couldn't really understand the rest of your post, but the 2003 Cobra makes more horsepower than the 5.7L Hemis because it has a supercharger attached, not because the heads are "more hemispherical."

50 Proof

Established Member
roushcobra2003 said:
So a co worker and I got into a heated arguement about the new hemi engines. I told him it's not a true hemispherical head and that 2003 Cobra's are more hemispherical that the new hemi's and that is why it produces more hp and blah blah blah. He goes of on saying that it says hemi on the engine. I went to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemi where I got information but I need more sources.
Also I work at a dealership, where a lot of people dont know anything about cars. We had a 2007 Monte Carlo SS and this same co worker was drueling all over it. We popped open the engine and guess what, it was front wheel drive. I laughed and said this car was weak sause. It was 300 something hp that this car produces is weak and isn't fast. I know I have my slow 3.0 ranger but still. This car was useless and there is no real point in having a fast car as a DD. Why do you need to go fast on public roads?
So can someone help a fellow car enthusiast out and show this punk up?

What? :dw:

roushcobra2003

Established Member
Sorry I rambled all of that. Anyways, what is the difference between the new hemi engines and the older hemi engines?

speedfreak440

Gear Jammer
Established Member
roushcobra2003 said:
Sorry I rambled all of that. Anyways, what is the difference between the new hemi engines and the older hemi engines?

ALOT! But to answer your basic question, the current HEMI has a dome more similar to that of the 1st generation Chrysler hemi (331, 354, 392 from the 1950's) to name just a few.

The HEMI that everyone thinks about when they hear the word HEMI (1963 426) had a huge dome in it (168cc iirc) which is what made it respond to forced induction better than anything else in it's day.

That being said, to over-simplify things- if you were to take a cross-sectional picture of the 426 HEMI & cut the bottom half off then you would have a chamber that looked similar to that of 1950's & modern day HEMI. There really is alot more to it than that but I think that will answer your question. In a way you are both right. :)

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
This website below can help you out on past, present...even future Hemis I suppose. Lots of articles, message forums, stuff like that. If you'll search through the site, you'll find a few articles that describe what differences new Hemis have from their classic counterparts.

http://www.thehemi.com/

This article jumps right into the thick of it with the question,
"Is the New Hemi not really a Hemi?"

http://www.thehemi.com/news.php?id=20020826-1

Last edited:

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
Ok i just saw this pic on that site
20020826-1_4.jpg

Look at the size of that intake port!!!! :eek:

EDIT: or is it exhaust?