Question about trannies?

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
My buddy just bought a 98 cobra and it needs the tranny gone through and we were wondering if a superduty t-5 out of a 90 gt would work at all for the mean time. If it would work what would it take to swap them? Thanks

Helomech74

Established Member
You would need to get the proper bellhousing for the Modular 4.6 motor as the one from the SBF will not work. The T45 that's in the 98 now (assuming it's the original trans) has an integrated bellhousing, so you can't use it either. Basically it's not going to work unless you fork out a few hundred bucks for a bellhousing. Not worth it in my opinion. What's wrong with the trans that's in it now? The T45 is a real easy transmission to rebuild on your own.

gofastl

Life's a garden- Dig It!
Established Member
I think he told me that the input bearings need replaced and while it was out he was gonna check everything out on it. It might be just easy enough to just fix it and put it back in and be done with it. Thanks

Toasty

Established Member
Check first for an adam's apple, then check for a bulge in the front of their dress. You're on your own after that...

Users who are viewing this thread