Question about wetsanding

Floridalawdog

Established Member
I got a little bit of gorilla glue on my truck. That stuff is permanant when it dries. A friend told me that I could wet sand it away without scratching the truck. I dont want to ruin my paint so I am scared to try. If its possible, I dont even know what wetsanding is. Or how its done :shrug: Can anyone give some advice.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Wet sanding is using very fine sandpaper and using a watery/soapy solution as a
lubricant...If you have ever clayed your L,roughly that is the same principal,except
your using sandpaper that is 1500-1200-1000 grit...Very fine.I would tape around the
spot your working on and only put pressure on the glue your trying to take off...This
may take awhile and you need to be very careful.It would be great if Goo Gone or a
little alcohol or acetone could take it off instead.I'm not familiar with gorilla glue...If
your friend is familiar with wet sanding,maybe he can walk you through it??

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
i would try a weak thinner and see if that will take it off, loco pretty much got it right, couple things to add, dont tape it off, if you wet sand it enough you will take the factor orange peel out, and you buff out the dullness, then you have a square that is mirror perfect and wont match the rest of the truck.i wouldnt touch my car with anything coarser than 2000. again i would try various strengths of thinner, if done quickly it should take the glue off with out harming the clear

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Thanks coco, the taping is a good idea. Gorilla glue is tough. Nothing takes it off.. I recommend it to stick stuff together. Just dont drip it and nit wipe it before it dries.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Gorilla glue is extremely strong, if it has sat on there 8 hours plus its dried completly and i think your screwed.

Talk to a body shop and see what they say to do.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Thanks coco, the taping is a good idea. Gorilla glue is tough. Nothing takes it off.. I recommend it to stick stuff together. Just dont drip it and nit wipe it before it dries.

I'm sure you didn't drip much...The blue 3M tape @ Home Depot works great.
The tape is mainly there so you sand the glue and don't touch any of your
paint...As long as your sanding the glue only...You could use fairly coarse
paper until you got down to your paint...Then you want to take your time
with very fine wet/dry paper until you get the rest of the glue off.Your sand
paper can be trimmed to size so it's easier to work with.Even if you have a
tiny piece that's wrapped around something hard...It may be easier than
trying to press down with your finger...The water/soap solution is nothing
more than a bucket of water and couple squirts of dish soap/car wash soap
ect...Good Luck........... :beer:

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane based adhesive.
I would go to a local body shop and see if they have an old peice of body panel and put some(glue) on it and get some MEK and see it if removes it.
I had a 03 F-350 that I got some Tile Clad epoxie on and it removed it without harming the paint but beware MEK will soften plastic if it gets on it and left to stay.
as far as wet sanding it would use a rubber block while doing this. and taping around the affected area helps also while sanding.
good luck with the removal of it.
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread