Question/Answer--Steeda Cable/Quad./Adjuster!?!?!

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
I finally got around to the install today and thought I would post a few pictures for this "PITA" job that others might be looking in to doing themselves.

First off the Steeda instructions aren't the best!

I don't know how some of you guys did yours but it was very painful. I am only 6' 2" and 185lbs. and had a hell of a time getting under the dash for this darn thing. You might want to look and see what you're getting yourself into before attempting this. Other than figuring out how to get the stock clutch quadrant off the rest of the install was pretty easy.

For those that have done this install how did your clutch feel afterward? I don't know if the cable is stretching but it is a little louder than stock. The clutch feel is quite a bit smoother engaging/disengaging than before though!

For those that used washers where exactly did you use them to keep the cable from rubbing? When I installed everything the cable/quadrant stayed centered and didn't rub on anything under the dash. What exactly were you guys referring to?

Anyone have any pointers/tips or anything else to add?

#1 beginning

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Anyone have anything to add?

Hopefully this helps someone else waiting/wanting to do this mod!

Be patient and good luck!

Josh:beer:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Got-Cobra?
#8 quad. side installed

Is this a pictures of your final configuration? Are they still not shipping shims or spacers with this kit?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
In picture #8, the washers went on both sides of the new quadrant to keep it centered. Without them, it can walk around on the shaft.

Dana

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
Yep, that's the finished product!

I had bought plastic shims to use but decided against it once I messed with it. When the cable puts pressure on it, it pulls the quad. tight and doesn't move!

Should I go back and install some? It wasn't moving around on the pins, only when there wasn't tension on it from the cable.

What to do???? :shrug:

Oh and NO SHIMS come with the KIT!

Last edited:

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
ok story time.

I had the Steeda Adjustable Clutch Quadrant on my 95 Cobra. It worked fine and being able to adjust where the clutch grabbed which was nice combo with my king cobra clutch kit.

I had one major problem and you should resolve this ASAP.

How your picture shows the clutch quadrant is exactly how I had mine installed. The problem is the quadrant moves freely on that pin and what happens is it will not stay in alignment with the clutch cable and thus the cable will wear against the sides of the groove on the quadrant. About 3 years after I installed it at first my clutch started acting up and would not completely disengage after the transmission was hot. So I readjusted the cable, but never took a look at the quadrant. Then about a month later I was working a really late night and didn't leave my customers location until about 2:00 am and was extremely luckily that the streets were empty. I was at a stoplight with the car in 1st and the clutch disengaged and all of a sudden the clutch engaged and the car took off. My first reaction was too slammed on the brake and stalled the car out and didn't know what happened. I quickly realized the clutch was gone. So I started the car in 1st and drove it to the nearest parking lot to see what happened. After stopping the car I got out to take a look at the quadrant first and found part of the cable that had snapped of in the foot well. Since it was really late and I was not about to leave my car in downtown Fort Lauderdale overnight I had to drive home 20 miles with no clutch, I think every light was red the whole way home so needless to say I was not in a good mood by that time. After taking the quadrant out I realized that it had been wearing against the cable for some time and the cable finally just snapped. This could have had disastrous consequences and I was extremely lucky it happened when it did I highly suggest you resolve this before you are possibly not so lucky.

I urge you to resolve this before anything happens.

Last edited:

Got-Cobra?

Established Member
As for the shims?

Are you just centering the quad. on the pins or doing something else?

It is a bitch just thinking about looking under there again!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Got-Cobra?
As for the shims?

Are you just centering the quad. on the pins or doing something else?

It is a bitch just thinking about looking under there again!

You need to line it up so the ramp on the quadrant is straight with the cabling going through the firewall.

I know it is one of the funner projects due to space constrants. If it makes you feel any better I am 6'4" and weigh 230 and have done it.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Take the seat out.
It takes 5 minutes and is well worth the effort.
Four bolts and one plug and it's out.

And yes, do install the washers to keep the quadrant centered on the cable.

Dana

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
This is an awesome picture show and really clarifies what the quadrant install entails.

I second taking the seat out. If I were going to do this at 6'4" 190 I'd never do it with that seat in. ouch!

Thanks for the great post.

*** Mods hopefully let's move this to the Modification section so as not to get lost in the fast pace of the main board.

Users who are viewing this thread