Question - Boss H pipe alternative

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Hey guys, I've been looking to pick up a boss 302 h pipe with side exhaust with no luck so far so I've been looking at alternatives. My question to you is: will the MRT after cat(Boss 12-13) work on the GT? It looks like they sell a completely indentical piece for the GT without the side exhaust part. If the MRT will bolt to the factory stuff then I will probably just go that route and buy the side pieces separately. Anyone have experience with this on their GT? Haven't really found out much info yet but I'm assuming if it works on the boss it will work on the mustang?

http://www.shopmrt.com/product-p/93p902.htm

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I have the full MRT Boss hi-flow catted version on my car....It fits with stock headers....when I put on the Kooks shorties It needed some "massaging" to work right. Its a super high quality piece....Cats are noticeably smaller than the stock ones.
Currently Im not using the side pipes and have the block plates on it. Matted up to kooks Axle Backs it sounds really good as is!

Here it is with the stock H-on the inside.....

CYMERA_20130727_084501_zps7a6bb2cf.jpg

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I have the full MRT Boss hi-flow catted version on my car....It fits with stock headers....when I put on the Kooks shorties It needed some "massaging" to work right. Its a super high quality piece....Cats are noticeably smaller than the stock ones.
Currently Im not using the side pipes and have the block plates on it. Matted up to kooks Axle Backs it sounds really good as is!

Here it is with the stock H-on the inside.....

CYMERA_20130727_084501_zps7a6bb2cf.jpg

yeah that size/quality difference is huge. People are trying to charge a premium for the boss 302 h pipe so I figured I might go this route and pickup kooks sides or try to find a pair of bosses.

Any issue with the cats? Only complaints I saw were from people with the gt500's.

50blackout

Established Member
Wow, the stock h pipe looks so "skinny', why would ford cut the sizing down to 2.25 inches instead of keeping it a constant 2.75 like the rest of the exhaust?

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I need some of those block off plates as I've misplaced mine haha

check out ebay I've seen a ton of em as I've been browsing for side pipes haha

I think someone on the boss302forum makes/sells the sides plates as well

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
check out ebay I've seen a ton of em as I've been browsing for side pipes haha
I think someone on the boss302forum makes/sells the sides plates as well

That's where I got mine (boss302forum) I've had no issues with the cats...no alignment issues with stock headers either. Just adding the kooks shorties is not a direct fit.

D98GT

Established Member
I'll have to check when I get back to a laptop instead of browsing on mobile. Most of the caps I saw on eBay were the 3 bolt (triangle) type and wouldn't work for me.

If I can get some in before my dyno on the 27th, I'll do a before/after dyno

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Just ordered the MRT after cat with sides from lethal. I hope I have all the shit I need for this install

Last edited:

FIVEHOE

Established Member
Did you need to seal the slip joint on the MRT H-crossover?

I just got my stuff installed today and I went by and was told by a shop that I should clamp it, was only 8$ and they even threw it on for me.

By the way, the MRT after cat with boss sides paired with the gt500 quad's sounds amazing! I'm pretty picky when it comes to exhaust and this just seems to be the right combination. Not too loud, but not too quiet, just right.

Users who are viewing this thread