Question for BMW enthusiasts

SVTDavid

Live Fast
Established Member
I am currently looking at a 1998 BMW 323is Coupe. It has a K&N air filter and a few other bolt ons. I don't know a lot about BMW's I'm more of a mustang guy, but does anyone know the track times for these stock? I don't want to spend $4500 on something that runs 16's. It is the 6 cylinder engine.

Last edited:

THE_STIG

Established Member
I have never taken one to a drag strip but I will tell you those older 3-series are very nice cars. They handle beautifully for a decently heavy car. If I had to guess at what it would run, for a coupe, I would say 14s?

txyaloo

Established Member
I am currently looking at a 1998 BMW 323is Coupe. It has a K&N air filter and a few other bolt ons. I don't know a lot about BMW's I'm more of a mustang guy, but does anyone know the track times for these stock? I don't want to spend $4500 on something that runs 16's. It is the 6 cylinder engine.

Stock they're a high 15/low 16 second car. An air filter isn't going to change that much. Exhaust and a tune might get you into the low 15's. Still not a fast car. Plus mods and repair parts are going to be expensive.

2k3gt

Established Member
My buddy had one of those back in high school and that thing ran pretty strong for a 7 year old V6. Definately nice cars!

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
Here's the first problem. BMW's weren't built for the 1/4 mile. If you're looking at a 10 year old 2.5L I6 with very minor bolt-ons to run the 1/4 with you're nuts. Bolt-ons are also just about worthless on these cars. They're pretty tapped from the factory.

If you're going to buy that car, do up the suspension, do weight reduction and race it in autox or some other road course venue.

I have a 99 M3 which has considerable more power than that 323 and it would take a miracle to break 14's. However, something about a 10 year old car that can take 540* exit ramps at 75 mph is very invigorating.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
lol @ drag racing a BMW.

they are built to drive fast in the twisties, not drive fast from a dig in a straight line.

Like TJ said above, make a good handling car even better and have fun with it.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
it's a 2.5L and it is not a V6. it is an inline 6...

with that said, i have no idea what it would do in the 1/4.

clean93

Established Member
i have no clue what those older 6 bangers run in the 1/4 ive only seen a 1 series at the dragstrip. but i know they handle well and last long. one of my customers has near 300k on his 5 series original owner too

M3xpress

Established Member
It will be a solid car if you're not trying to mod it for the quartermile. Mod it to be a nice car and for handling.

Intake, exhaust, chip/tune, etc. but I wouldn't spend much more time or money for power. I'd do suspension and looks.

Last edited:

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
Here's the first problem. BMW's weren't built for the 1/4 mile. If you're looking at a 10 year old 2.5L I6 with very minor bolt-ons to run the 1/4 with you're nuts. Bolt-ons are also just about worthless on these cars. They're pretty tapped from the factory.

If you're going to buy that car, do up the suspension, do weight reduction and race it in autox or some other road course venue.

I have a 99 M3 which has considerable more power than that 323 and it would take a miracle to break 14's. However, something about a 10 year old car that can take 540* exit ramps at 75 mph is very invigorating.

I agree with this and I own a BMW ('03 330i with mods by DINAN). The majority of my mods are suspension, exhaust, intake, and chip. It's a different animal than any other 6 cylinder (I've had a SVT Contour and a '97 turbo Supra).

SVTDavid

Live Fast
Established Member
it's a 2.5L and it is not a V6. it is an inline 6...

with that said, i have no idea what it would do in the 1/4.

Gah:bash: you know what I meant.

Next question I have is would you spend $4500 on a BMW with 155k. Here are some pictures the guy sent to me.

2089612_20091104-175150_366.jpg

2089612_20091104-175056_919.jpg

2089612_20091104-175031_802.jpg

Last edited:

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I really like my 01 330ci. I think you could look on craigslist or autotrader (where I found mine) and find one with lower miles for the same price. Keep in mind 155k isn't bad for a BMW, they will run for 200-300k with proper preventative maintenance. For a daily driver it's solid as a rock and the steering response is amazing. If you do buy that one make sure it doesn't need anything major mechanics-wise or you might be looking at big money fast.

bmwb.gif

bmwc.gif

bmwe.gif

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
When dealing with mileage like that make sure the seller has maintenance records.

The reason a lot of these cars run a long time is cuz BMW owners are very meticulous about maintenance. However, once in a while you'll find someone who didn't give a shit. I know this car looks really clean just make sure he has records. Repair bills can get up there in a HURRY if something goes wrong.

For example, I took my M3 to the dealer to have some routine stuff done (fluids, brakes, etc). My convertible top was also giving me an issue and it turns out it needed a new motor. They had to order it from Germany and when all was said and done some routine maintenance and a new convertible motor cost me $4,300.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
that looks pretty clean for $4500.

I spent $4500 on my 98 GST with 100k on it FYI. Id rather have that BMW for that price, thats for sure.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member

That just about sums it up. I just got an 02 X5 4.6is (basically the closest thing you could get to an X5M until just recently), and it's quick, but drag racing is not its strong suit. However, the thing handles like it's on rails. My 5,000 pound SUV will make passengers scream around corners. 340+hp doesn't hurt either of course, but the handling really is the best part. Buy a BMW and you'll love it. Maintenance prices suck (for example, dealer wanted over 400 bucks to change my upper radiator hose), but the cars are built extremely well and will last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread