Question for frequent military travelers (thanks TSA)

chicken714

NKAWTG
Established Member
I am slightly spoiled by traveling around the world in pretty much a private jet (I'm a crew chief on a heavy acft). When I have to fly commercial I always without fail get friggin searched. The long drawn out hand search and pat down. I thought if I was on orders I was not to be searched. Am I wrong? I asked who it was up to that I was searched and i was told the ticket counter. I always show them my orders. I really don't look like a terrorist I swear. What is the deal? Is this just their way of treating the people protecting their freedom? Input greatly appreciated.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I am a military contractor that travels on orders ... never had a problem unless I was very late checking in. Maybe they don't like your aftershave :)

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
happens to me too man....they are just doing thier job. It's not hard to obtain fake orders....ya just gotta look at it in a force protection perspective

i take it you work on Macdill?

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I really don't look like a terrorist I swear. What is the deal? Is this just their way of treating the people protecting their freedom? Input greatly appreciated.

If you can tell me what a terrorist looks like I will pass the word to TSA. The problem is they look like anyone. I used to work for Customs. I would get "do I look like a drug dealer?" If I knew what they looked like none would ever get by me....HELLO!!!!! Here's your sign. I am also Military. I get stopped as well. it is best to let them do there jobs. You wouldn't want one of them telling you yours.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you can tell me what a terrorist looks like I will pass the word to TSA. The problem is they look like anyone. I used to work for Customs. I would get "do I look like a drug dealer?" If I knew what they looked like none would ever get by me....HELLO!!!!! Here's your sign. I am also Military. I get stopped as well. it is best to let them do there jobs. You wouldn't want one of them telling you yours.
Terrorists look like Middle Eastern males. I don't recall the last time a white male, black male or females for that matter did any terrorist activities. IMO its already been proven that TSA has been ineffective at their purpose in life. They have knee jerk reactions and things put in place that don't accomplish much except slowing down the whole process. The issue is our society has become PC. We can't single out those who fit the profile of terrorists.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
Terrorists look like Middle Eastern males. I don't recall the last time a white male, black male or females for that matter did any terrorist activities. IMO its already been proven that TSA has been ineffective at their purpose in life. They have knee jerk reactions and things put in place that don't accomplish much except slowing down the whole process. The issue is our society has become PC. We can't single out those who fit the profile of terrorists.

Short memory?
timothy-mcveigh-1-sized.jpg

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Short memory?
timothy-mcveigh-1-sized.jpg
Weird, I don't remember him hijacking any airplanes. I should have been more specific in my state. So I'll clarify. I don't recall the last time a white or black male or female conducted a suicide mission in the name of Allah against the 'Great Satan.' You could count Fazul, but I could guarantee 95% of people have no clue who he is...

Dusten

Established Member
i get that too, dont feel bad. every god damn time i am orders i get searched. last time my wife got searched because she wouldnt take her hoody off, but she wasnt wearing a shirt under it.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member

Timothy McVeigh, Richard Reid ring a bell? there not just looking for terrorists. There are other factors and things they look for as well. And they are a hell of a-lot better than the system we had in-place pre 9/11. To say otherwise is plain old ignorant. You do know that they have been actively recruiting white American Citizens don't you.

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Timothy McVeigh, Richard Reed ring a bell? there not just looking for terrorists. There are other factors and things they look for as well. And they are a hell of a-lot better than the system we had in-place pre 9/11. To say otherwise is plain old ignorant. You do know that they have been actively recruiting white American Citizens don't you.
I'll give you Richard Reid, however, his 'look' still fits that of the 'normal' terrorists. How about you look at the 19 Arab males that did 9/11. You can't really see the guys that did Kobar Towers, Tanzania and Kenyan Embassies?
What else are they looking for? The little old lady with her knitting needles? The guy with the spork in his pocket? The guy with 5oz of shaving cream in his luggage?
Has the 'new' system made an impact? I'm sure it has to a degree. The public will never know the successes, but will know its failures.

I'll also add, that when I'm traveling and observing this 'new system' its rarely the people who fit the profile getting searched. Quite the contrary its the old white dude, young Asian chick, etc. They won't search the people that need to be search due to the public outcry from 'racial profiling.'

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Has the 'new' system made an impact? I'm sure it has to a degree. The public will never know the successes, but will know its failures.

Reid was half white and half Jamaican and had a British Accent. The last part of your post was the most important. They are also helping alot of other Fed Agcys. CBP for example. Money in excess of 10k, Passengers that have been flagged because their name closely resembles or is the same a suspicious persons, or persons with Warrants. among various other things. It is not as black and white as the gen. public believes. And believe me the random exams are hated by TSA just as much as the public. We had to do them in Customs as well. We never found anything but minor things.

Last edited:

Rochard

Established Member
Everytime you are searched you should be thankful these guys are doing their job. While it's nothing compared to what our military does, they are just as important. I travel a lot for work and I never complain when I'm searched.

Stop being a baby already. Just because you are military does not give you any different consideration when traveling on a public plane.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I am slightly spoiled by traveling around the world in pretty much a private jet (I'm a crew chief on a heavy acft). When I have to fly commercial I always without fail get friggin searched. The long drawn out hand search and pat down. I thought if I was on orders I was not to be searched. Am I wrong? I asked who it was up to that I was searched and i was told the ticket counter. I always show them my orders. I really don't look like a terrorist I swear. What is the deal? Is this just their way of treating the people protecting their freedom? Input greatly appreciated.

When i was in i had to fly in my BDUs one time (for the life of me i cant remember why) but i had orders, proper ID, the uniform on ETC. I was about to walk through the medal detector and told the guy that i had steel toed boots on... sure enough the medal detector went off so i had to take my boots off, full pat down, etc. :bored:

But like RDJ i am a contractor and fly commerical all of the time so i guess i have gotten used to it. Just dont fly though London, now that is a cluster****.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i slip them a $5 and ask "Is this the part where i get naked and you put the gloves on?" and they usually let me go after that.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
When I do travel on military orders and am forced to fly civilian... I'm always told that in order for that rule to apply, you have to have valid orders and a military uniform on at the time.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Does it usually happen at TIA (Tampa)? TSA at TIA are a bunch of idiots. They think they have more power than they do and are often called on it. We have had the opportunity to arrest a few TSA employees. I have been patted down by TSA quite a few times, but only at TIA, even though I am a Fed. L.E.O.

You being on military orders means nothing in the inspection process.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
youre an easy search. they see military and Im sure they are fairly confident that you arent going to be a problem. (no shoe bombs or plastic knives).

I get searched every time I'm on orders too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread