Question for front strut install

Azsnake

Established Member
I'm replacing my stock struts with the Bilsteins. Will I need a new nut for the top of the Bilstein struts or am I able to reuse the stock strut nut? Also, can I toss out the rubber bushing or do I need to keep that? Will I need an alignment done after swapping out the struts?

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
If the thread pitch is the same, re-use the nut, add some blue loctite. Not sure which bushing but, if you mean the spring isolator, you can delete, it will lower the car a little and may make more noise. You should get an alignment.

Azsnake

Established Member
Well lets hope they're the same! Anyone know off hand if they're the same? If you've done the swap? Thanks!

71catruck

Established Member
My bilstein coil overs from MM came with a nut. And the rubber bushing for the caster camber plates can be reused if its in good shape. If that's what you talking about. An alignment would be good to get but I would feel fine driving on it for a bit

Azsnake

Established Member
My bilstein coil overs from MM came with a nut. And the rubber bushing for the caster camber plates can be reused if its in good shape. If that's what you talking about. An alignment would be good to get but I would feel fine driving on it for a bit

I bought them used off a forum member here. I'm just trying to find out what to do before I start the work. Thanks

71catruck

Established Member
ok in that case if the nut you have off the stock ones dont fit then go to a hard ware store and they will set you up. just make sure to tell them you need a locking nut. it doesnt matter if its a nylon or mechanical lock though.

Azsnake

Established Member
Cool. I appreciate the help. I guess I'll just have to pop into a store and grab a couple bolts just in case

Azsnake

Established Member
I'm having a hard time finding a bolt that fits. Any clue on what size and thread pattern the Bilstein nut is?

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
If they are Bilsteins from a cobra the nut is the same, you do not have to buy new ones. Also, if you drop the strut out the bottom without removing/loosening the caster/camber plates you will not need an alignment. You are going to need an 8mm hex socket for the top of the Bilsteins.

Azsnake

Established Member
If they are Bilsteins from a cobra the nut is the same, you do not have to buy new ones. Also, if you drop the strut out the bottom without removing/loosening the caster/camber plates you will not need an alignment. You are going to need an 8mm hex socket for the top of the Bilsteins.

Bingo! Thank you sir :beer:

Azsnake

Established Member
Ok, I just punched in my front strut part number. They are Bilstein HD struts. Does this change anything as far as interchangeability? Will the factory strut nut sill fit these? I am going to start tearing into the job in about 3 hours. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread