Question for guys with aftermarket HE

jimh

Established Member
I posted this in the Engine forum but I'm not sure if I'll get as much of a response there.

Has anybody ever data logged the iat1 and iat2 temps after installing an aftermarket heat exchanger?

I still have the factory HE. Half way through 4th gear iat1 is 92 degrees and iat2 is 141. Do the aftermarket HEs do any better?

(I'm in S. Fla so it is a little warmer more humid here)

You can see how the factory HE did on my car. Here's a log of one of my early tuning runs.

http://www.liquidresults.net/datalog.aspx

Jim

Bill Reid

Established Member
We have not data logged runs on Chad's car but after a pass he can see with our oversized HE resevoir and our larger HE that there is a definate temp drop.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
A few months ago I installed an AFCO unit in my car. This was during the hottest time of the year July/August in Florida. It was well past 90* outside and humid as a MoFo. I did several WOT runs on the expressway and my IAT2 did not go over 130* F. I never datalogged with the stock HE so I can not compare the two of them.

Measuring the temps on a dyno is not accurate.

Mark@LFP

Banned
This past July ( 98degrees 100% humidity ) LFP dynoed before and after our LFP EXtreme heat exchanger. Boost dropoff without the HE installed was 3#'s. After install no drop in boost. A definite power keeper.
Our LFP EXtreme Heat Exchangers are a direct bolt-in without any modifications to bumper. On sale for $299.00. Custom stenciling available at no extra charge.

jimh

Established Member
Originally posted by Mark@LFP
This past July ( 98degrees 100% humidity ) LFP dynoed before and after our LFP EXtreme heat exchanger. Boost dropoff without the HE installed was 3#'s. After install no drop in boost. A definite power keeper.
Our LFP EXtreme Heat Exchangers are a direct bolt-in without any modifications to bumper. On sale for $299.00. Custom stenciling available at no extra charge.

Thanks for the info. How much boost was being run total?

I thought the cooling of the charge by the intercooler causes the boost drop, not prevents it. If you put a balloon in the refrigerator it shrinks.

Am I missing something?

jim

Mark@LFP

Banned
03 18#'s. The colder the air the denser the air charge. More compressed air enters combustion chamber.

If the opposite were true we wouldn't have a HE on the vehicle. We would be looking for a way to heat up the charge.

Last edited:

jimh

Established Member
More pressure does not neccessarily mean more air. For example heating up a set amount of air will increase pressure, but not the amount of usable air to mix with fuel. There's more air to mix with fuel in 15psi of cold air than there is in 15psi of hot air. Just like tire pressure goes up after the tires heat up. Still the same amount of air inside the tire though. That's why I'd think that cooling the air would cause a pressure drop not prevent it.

I was checking out you HEs. Nice setup. Do I have to change anything else in the HE system to use that? (pump, hose sizes or anything like that) Do you offer fans for that HE? Do you think they are neccessary? My car sees very little track time.

Thanks again

Last edited:

jimh

Established Member
Now that everything is moved over. Let's see if anyone else has any info.
BTW the run on my car is with a 2.84 pulley and stock exhaust.

ttt

jimh

Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
Noob question, as far as these newer tech cars go. With what and how do you datalog these cars?

Software through the OBDII diagnostics port. I think the Predator does some data logging too. I don't know how much. I'm using a test version of software being developed for an aftermarket chip and reflasher company.

jim

Last edited:

CharlieCobra03

Established Member
jimh said:
Software through the OBDII diagnostics port. I think the Predator does some data logging too. I don't know how much. I'm using a test version of software being developed for an aftermarket chip and reflasher company.

jim

Hmm, does anyone make a connector and SW package that'll run on a Laptop for the OBDII?

jimh

Established Member
CharlieCobra03 said:
Hmm, does anyone make a connector and SW package that'll run on a Laptop for the OBDII?

There are plenty out there that can connect to the OBD and log information. Check out scantool.net. They can get instance information, trouble codes and clear the check engine light. The trick is getting one that can log data fast enough. Most tools will only log 5-10 samples per second if you're lucky. So if you are logging 5 PIDS you get 1 per second.

SCT has a high speed one. I don't know how good it is. Predator can do some stuff, I'm not familiar with it but I know it is supposed to do high speed data logging. Sniper had one at the SEMA show that they will be releasing.

Depends on what you want it for. No matter what you'll need an interface device that connects the laptop to the OBD port. Then just the software that can do the work. The one I'm testing runs on a laptop.

vetkilr

When 600rwhp isnt enough.
Established Member
Mark@LFP said:

Im more then likely going to buy one but this whole statement is misleading.

You could say that the power didnt drop off,but if the same restriction is after the blower then how did you get more boost???? The only way to get that blower to get more boost(thus more air in/out of it)the air entering the blower would have to be cooler or more dense to do anything.
The reason our cars loose power is from heat which makes the car pull timing a degree or two.
There is nothing you can do to raise boost after the blower cause the blower has already done all in can do by then.

Thus why in the winter your car runs faster cause the cool air entering the blower is cooler or more dense so you get a lb or two more boost.

WDW MKR

Established Member
Cooling the air after the blower may, in theory, create more room for air to be compressed. The cooler, denser air would enable more air to be packed into the manifold. I may be out on a limb, but it makes a little sense. :idea: In the winter, the air is colder before it enters the blower. So, even though the delta T would be the same across the blower, the outlet temp would be lower as a result of the lower inlet temp. This enables more air to be packed in, creating more boost. With the upgraded HE, even though the inlet temp is not changing, the outlet would be better cooled, decreasing the delta T. Different means to the same end... maybe?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread