question for guys with long tubes

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Recently finished up my new build for my d1. I had the shop install some mac LTs this time around but didnt get an extra bung welded in for my AF gauge and sensor.

So are you guys just using the existing bung in the collector for AF sensor? And what are yoy doing with the O2 sensor it replaced? Just taping it up? I know they are already turned off in my tune.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I don't yet have a wideband but when I get one this spring I was just going to install the sensor in one of the bungs for the rear O2 sensors on the midpipe.

I've heard conflicting reports on whether this is the best place to put it but that's what my tuner did when tuning the car so that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
Someone can correct if I'm wrong but I understand the bung to the wideband should be installed in between the two sensors. And preferably closer to the upstream one.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Typically, you'll want it located around 36" from the nearest exhaust valve. You should place the sensor at least 10 degrees above horizontal and also at least 15 degrees from vertical. This keeps condensation from collecting in the sensor while also reducing the likelihood of overheating the sensor.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Yes i know to not turn the upstream ones off, handhelds cant and no tuner in their right mind will. Ive already had a gauge on my car when i had stock manifolds and an OR prochamber. I dont see why you would place it in between the two sensors on LTs cause that leaves it on just one cylinder, thats why i asked about the collector, which would be downstream

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Yes i know to not turn the upstream ones off, handhelds cant and no tuner in their right mind will. Ive already had a gauge on my car when i had stock manifolds and an OR prochamber. I dont see why you would place it in between the two sensors on LTs cause that leaves it on just one cylinder, thats why i asked about the collector, which would be downstream

:dw: The "upstream" O2's are located in the collector of just about any header offering out there. The "downstream" O2's are the ones which are commonly "turned off" in the tune file. They would be placed downstream of the catalytic converters.

You asked:

So are you guys just using the existing bung in the collector for AF sensor? And what are yoy doing with the O2 sensor it replaced? Just taping it up? I know they are already turned off in my tune.

The existing bung in the collector is for the "upstream" O2 sensor, which needs to be in place and operational. Add a bung for your WBO2, be it in the collector or just downstream of it (before any catalytic converter).

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
:dw: The "upstream" O2's are located in the collector of just about any header offering out there. The "downstream" O2's are the ones which are commonly "turned off" in the tune file. They would be placed downstream of the catalytic converters.

You asked:

The existing bung in the collector is for the "upstream" O2 sensor, which needs to be in place and operational. Add a bung for your WBO2, be it in the collector or just downstream of it (before any catalytic converter).

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I was under the influence that there was a bung in the stock manifold location on the new long tubes and the downstream was the one in the collector area, i didnt ship them to me so i didnt see them. I was going off memory as im in PA and the car is in VA and was getting built in SC. I havent had the car in 8 months.

So weld another bung in the collector? Not sure i would want it tied to only one cylinder considering my last 7k motor build we down the shitter due to a failed injector that was brand new.

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
So weld another bung in the collector? Not sure i would want it tied to only one cylinder considering my last 7k motor build we down the shitter due to a failed injector that was brand new.

As said above, add the bung either in the collector, or just downstream of the collector, not in one of the primaries.

CJK440

Established Member
What wideband? The innovate products can be installed in place of an OE narrow band and output a narrow band signal to do the job of both.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
What wideband? The innovate products can be installed in place of an OE narrow band and output a narrow band signal to do the job of both.

Ngk afx with the ntk senor. I had 2 innovate lc1 kits to a db1 gauge. The first lc1 kit never worked got it replaced and the next one had to be calibraed every 3 days of driving. Piles of shit and will never own any of their products again.

I'd suggest giving this a read: Wideband help

Thanks ill give it a read tomorrow

CJK440

Established Member
Ngk afx with the ntk senor. I had 2 innovate lc1 kits to a db1 gauge. The first lc1 kit never worked got it replaced and the next one had to be calibraed every 3 days of driving. Piles of shit and will never own any of their products again.

Interesting. I had 3 and all worked great. Ready to install my 4th. Hopefully my streak continues.

Being that you are asking about sensor placement after your 3rd wideband and had a shop install your LT's, I assume a shop installed the innovate unit(s)? Perhaps it was an install issue...

Last edited:

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Interesting. I had 3 and all worked great. Ready to install my 4th. Hopefully my streak continues.

Being that you are asking about sensor placement after your 3rd wideband and had a shop install your LT's, I assume a shop installed the innovate unit(s)? Perhaps it was an install issue...

Fastlane motorsports did the install so i doubt they would screw that up as well known in the east as they are. I was askin only due to havin my original set up on stock manfolds. Innovate confirmed a faulty lc1 and thats why it was replaced. With the stock logs i knew exactly where to put the bung, just had no idea on the LT

Users who are viewing this thread