Question for iProduct gurus

TJSwoboda

Established Member
My 32GB iPhone 4 is currently running iOS 4.2.1. Hanging with Friends now refuses to run with anything less than 4.3, and so I want to upgrade to 4.3.3 but no later. Apple (say it holding your tongue, and it's still an understatement) won't let me upgrade to anything less than the latest and far from greatest iOS6, though.

I have an IPSW file for 4.3.3; they're widely available for any iOS version. I found a program called tinyumbrella that gets me over the initial hump in getting iTunes to apply the 4.3.3 IPSW, but I still run into errors later (a 16 hundred-something error). I've been following this guide; it's meant to downgrade your iOS, but I figured it should work to upgrade to <6 too.

Anyone successfully done this before?
FWP.jpg

6.0GTO

Established Member
You should not need any special programs. iTunes will let you put any IPSW you have on the iOS device. At least upgrading. Downgrading can run into other problems with basebands.

How to Use IPSW files

GodStang

Established Member
Once a new version of iOS is released Apple stops signing the previous version. Which means you can not upgrade to any version prior to that. So say you have 5.0.1 on your device but they have a 5.1 and 5.2 and they release 6.0 on Tuesday. As of Tuesday you can not upgrade to anything other than 6.0 because it is the only signed one. So you have to make the long jump if you are going natural.

Now you can use Tiny Umbrella to save your SHSH Blobs which will allow you to go back to them without them being signed. The problem is you have to save the SHSH blobs while they are signed. Meaning if you hook up now and want to go to 4.3.3 you are SOL.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Buy a droid bro..
Lil just update to ios6. Jailbroken isn't that great lol
My next phone will be an Android device. I'm sticking with what I've got for the time being, though. Jailbreaking gets me a free over-3G/Edge scrobbler for last.fm, autocorrect is now manual-correct, and I have tethering without paying an extra $20/month.

You should not need any special programs. iTunes will let you put any IPSW you have on the iOS device. At least upgrading. Downgrading can run into other problems with basebands.

How to Use IPSW files
As GodStang pointed out, iTunes flat out refuses to do this.

Why are you running 4.x??
I didn't want to have to re-jailbreak, but I never counted on Apps refusing to run.

So... While the article I posted says you can downgrade without SHSH blobs, is it completely impossible to upgrade without them? :(

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Some things are required for the OS updates... back when 4 was out Apple was just starting to play a lot of 'FU Jailbreakers' action so it's required unfortunately.

TJSwoboda

Established Member
Über thanks to RDLightning01 for helping get me into 5.1.1, against Apple's efforts to ram 6 down our throats. Reinstalling my apps, I've found one so far that's been taken out of the US iTunes store (iZee, presumably because whatever toy company owns Yahzee are a bunch of words that would get asterisked by the profanity filter). Without exposing SVTP to liability with what gets posted publicly, does anyone in the know want to, um, nudge me in the right direction to where I could go about re-acquiring this app I've already legally purchased?
FWP4.jpg

TJSwoboda

Established Member
srsly. When I came across my second problem app (Tetris, the version of it that I had before), I... Well, long story short I found it the same way someone who doesn't want to pay for it would, and successfully installed it (I paid $2.99 on 2-20-11, thank you very much). The bitchin' smooth jazz soundtrack still plays, but not the Russian game over music. :(

Users who are viewing this thread