question for officers about getting pulled over

fiveoguy

Established Member
Recently I was pulled over for expired tags, my fault for not paying attention and renewing them on time. When the officer put on his lights, I put on my blinker and slowed down, looking for a place to pull over, but it was about a half mile before I found a good place to stop. The officer asked me why I took so long to pull over because he was afraid I was going to run and he didn't think he would be able to keep up with me (didn't expect him to say that). Once I explained that I was looking for a place to pull over, he understood and was relieved I wasn't trying to run.

My question is, in the future, what is the best way for me to let the officer know that I intend on stopping once I find a safe place without him having to worry I'm going to run on him? I figured slowing down and putting on my signal would be a good clue, but in this case i was getting ready to enter the freeway and I guess he thought I was going to make a run for it once I got to the on ramp.

Thanks for any advice.

Lawman85

Banned
You have to think about where you are stopping. If you are on a flat road with good visibility each way, then go ahead and stop. Do not stop in a cure, on a hill crest, bottom of a hill, partially in a driveway, or other dangerous places like that. If you can pull off of the road then do so. I don't see that you did anything wrong as long as you reduce your speed greatly and use your signals. I have people do that all the time because of some of the twisty, hilly roads around here.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Sounds like you did the right thing to me. Sometimes officers will get caught up in a traffic stop if they feel the other person has an advantage such as in your case, a faster car. Don't think to much about it. Every cop is different with their own little quirks. There was one cop in my area that would call 10-80(Pursuit in progess) if the person didn't pull over within 1-2 blocks. Most of the time, you can tell the cop is not happy with you if they turn the siren on and leave it on. I don't care where you live, if a cop does that it means, "Pull over NOW Gosh darn it!!". Most of the time, lights and a quick blip is sufficent to get a car to stop. So like I said, don't worry about it.... you did fine.

Smokin04

Pump Gas KING!
Established Member
I agree. As long as you don't accelerate or make any sudden turns when I turn my lights on, I don't feel threatened. Make sure you turn your stereo off though so if the cop tells you something over the PA yo can hear it. I had a guy with his system on that couldn't hear me telling him to pull over with the PA. Needless to say he got a ticket.

NewGuyGT

Established Member
Hey I got a question too. In Cali, if you get pulled over on the freeway, are you supposed to pull over to the right or left? Or does it matter?

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
Another good tip is to turn off the car, and turn on the interior light (if it is night time) and put down the window. When they ask for regristration, tell them where your papers are before you go to get them.

These cops never know what they're walking up to when approaching a car, so if you have the car off, they know you're not gonna run. The interior light on at night helps so they can see what you're doing.

I actually had a State Trooper thank me one night cause of what I did.

Look at it this way, would you want to walk up to a stranger's car 100 times a day with a chance of getting shot or beatup?

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
JJPMach1 said:
Another good tip is to turn off the car, and turn on the interior light (if it is night time) and put down the window. When they ask for regristration, tell them where your papers are before you go to get them.

These cops never know what they're walking up to when approaching a car, so if you have the car off, they know you're not gonna run. The interior light on at night helps so they can see what you're doing.

I actually had a State Trooper thank me one night cause of what I did.

Look at it this way, would you want to walk up to a stranger's car 100 times a day with a chance of getting shot or beatup?

exactly... :rockon: :rockon: :beer:

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Sounds like you did the right thing to me. It makes me mad when I pull someone over and they stop in the middle of traffic. Then I either have to get on the pa system and tell them to move to a side street or risk getting hit walking up to the vehicle and then tell them to pull to a side street. I think any officer with common sense should know and appreciate what you did. It happens to me all the time.

Next time jump out of your car and run towards the police car with your hand in your coat pocket, and yell something like " what the f did you pull me for?" JK

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
...Next time jump out of your car and run towards the police car with your hand in your coat pocket, and yell something like " what the f did you pull me for?" JK...

ROFL!!! He'd be DRT & cancelling Christmas for sure. :lol:

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Also Want03cobra is correct. Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things we do from day to day. More cops are killed durig traffic stops than anything else.

Dont reach around the car or under the seat. If your windows are tinted put them down, dome light and keep your hands in view. Also same for your passengers.

Also, dont argue with the cop. What red light? It was yellow officer.

Most of us dont like writing decent people tickets, but if you argue, it makes it that much easier. And now, I dont know about all agencies, but at my department we have ticket printers in our cars that run off our lap tops. You can do multiple tickets in a fraction of the time, with zero work. So now the jerks that used to get 1 ticket may get 5 or 6 tickets. Just something to keep in mind.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
And now, I dont know about all agencies, but at my department we have ticket printers in our cars that run off our lap tops. You can do multiple tickets in a fraction of the time, with zero work. So now the jerks that used to get 1 ticket may get 5 or 6 tickets. Just something to keep in mind.

They still hand write them down here in North Port, I know, I got one for no Headlights (LEO called my father on his nextel two way, and asked him if He should give me a ticket for no headlights....my dad said yes...lol)

But we did just get all new computer systems in our cars, with radar in front and back! oh boy! We know the guy down at the city garage, and we do alot of towing for the city/NPPD.

Chris

Floridalawdog

Established Member
Chris, whats up? We are pretty close to each other. DO you do any 4 wheeling down there. Because I have ridden with a Chris who lives in Northport.

slammed

Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Also Want03cobra is correct. Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous things we do from day to day. More cops are killed durig traffic stops than anything else.

Dont reach around the car or under the seat. If your windows are tinted put them down, dome light and keep your hands in view. Also same for your passengers.

Also, dont argue with the cop. What red light? It was yellow officer.

Most of us dont like writing decent people tickets, but if you argue, it makes it that much easier. And now, I dont know about all agencies, but at my department we have ticket printers in our cars that run off our lap tops. You can do multiple tickets in a fraction of the time, with zero work. So now the jerks that used to get 1 ticket may get 5 or 6 tickets. Just something to keep in mind.

More then one - wow then you know they are messing with you :/

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
I got pulled over in My 01 GT. I was 17 and stuck behind a big rig on a bypass through town, i was goin only about 20 in a 45(just turned a corner) A high way patrol going the other way turned around in the middle of traffic and almost ran into another car in the process. Mind you its about 12 on a saturday and he has lights AND siren going when moved everyone out of the way and got on my bumber. I was completly shocked, the only thing i had to worry about was that i have no front plate.

In Montana they only give us 1 tag for the back so why we need a front plate is beyond me.

So i had to drive about a half mile to a parking lot and i was going even slower with my blinker on and he still had his lights and siren on. i pulled into an empty lot, rolled the wondows down, shut the car off and had my license and reg. and insurance in my hands on the wheel when he came up. He was very rude asking how fast i was goin and why there was no plate on the front. I said i didn't think i needed one and he snapped that i knew i did. I ended up getting a warning.

But why was he so mad at me Jealusy maybe?? Normaly High way patrol dont pull over many people in town? I always kinda wanted to be a state trooper but he put a bad image in my mind.

Lawman85

Banned
toomanymustangs said:
But why was he so mad at me Jealusy maybe?? Normaly High way patrol dont pull over many people in town? I always kinda wanted to be a state trooper but he put a bad image in my mind.

I always wanted to be 17 again, but you put a bad image in my mind. He did stop you for a valid reason, no front tag. I know it's hard to believe, but cops have bad days too. If he was that rude to you, you should have done a complaint at his department, of course, he did give you a warning.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
I always wanted to be 17 again, but you put a bad image in my mind. He did stop you for a valid reason, no front tag. I know it's hard to believe, but cops have bad days too. If he was that rude to you, you should have done a complaint at his department, of course, he did give you a warning.

I realiced i was wrong and I deserved what I got, But I tried to be as respectful as I could and it only seemed to make him more mad. I suppose everyone has bad days too.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Floridalawdog said:
Chris, whats up? We are pretty close to each other. DO you do any 4 wheeling down there. Because I have ridden with a Chris who lives in Northport.

We ride ATVs down here, We (as far as I know) have the tallest atv in florida (that could have changed tho). But if you are talking about 4x4 Trucks, it prolly was not me. I go riding with my dad and a few people from our company (North Port towing). Its been awhile since we have been installing our lift kit on one of out bikes.

Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread