Question for other 'vert owners

MatchStick

Master of the drunken pee
Established Member
I was getting something out of trunk today and noticed that a small rip was starting to develope just to the outside of my rear window. So obviously this isn't something I can let go for awhile.

Has anyone here replaced their own top? Or is it something I should leave to upholstery (sp?) shop?

I browsed a few ads in some magazines and I noticed you can get the top with or without the rear window, there is nothing wrong with my rear window so is this something I need to purchase together or just the top?

I do most of my own parts installs myself but this is something I have never dealt with.
Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
MatchStick said:
Has anyone here replaced their own top? Or is it something I should leave to upholstery (sp?) shop?

I have a friend who replaced her top on her '95 GT. Not sure if she did it herself or if she had it done somewhere. Let me know if you want to get in touch with her and I'll send ya her e-mail. I don't imagine it'd be too hard to do, but then again I haven't looked at the inner workings of the vert top. I can check my Haynes manual tomorrow and see if they cover it in there for you.

MatchStick said:
I browsed a few ads in some magazines and I noticed you can get the top with or without the rear window, there is nothing wrong with my rear window so is this something I need to purchase together or just the top?

You'd probably need to purchase the rear window and top together so that there is no problem with the seal between the two. Just my thought.

Hope this helps.

Snaketamer

CAM-tastic
Established Member
I remember seeing on the gtamc.com where some one had the same problem. I think the majority of the posts recommended getting it done profressionally. I'd give you a link however, they changed servers and haven't figured all the problems out yet. The board has been down for days now. :(

MatchStick

Established Member
freakshow12 said:
now would be a great time to upgrade to the wayyyy nicer top from the terminators.

Is it a direct fit?

Thanks for the info so far guys, keep 'em coming.

freakshow12

Established Member
I do belive it is all 94-04 stangs are basically the same and the tops look identical structure wise just the material is different on the new cobras

MatchStick

Established Member
freakshow12 said:
I do belive it is all 94-04 stangs are basically the same and the tops look identical structure wise just the material is different on the new cobras

Thanks freakshow12. I'll check into it today. If anyone runs across a good deal on tops with windows please post the link or contact info. :beer:

msmap

Lady Snake
Established Member
You can have you old window glued in to the new top. Also, the 03/04 tops collect alot of lint so you have to use a lint brush at times.

wicked5_0

Established Member
msmap said:
You can have you old window glued in to the new top.
True, but I don't think anyone will stand behind it. Everyone will recommend a new window + tint if you have it. Most I ran across suggested having it done pro too. Search for a "known" local. Someone with a good rep. Expect to drop around $1k for top, window w/defroster + tinted, new headliner, and pads installed. :cryying: Hope this helps.

MatchStick

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I put the car in storage for the winter so I'll worry about it in a few months.

That should give me a few months to get the money together. Right now all the money goes into my Jeep. :D

~B7~

Established Member
My friend has a 1998 Cobra Vert and he has a problem where NONE of his windows roll down. I think he already checked the fuse box....I haven't looked at it myself, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone here or if they know a fix so I can pass it onto him???

Users who are viewing this thread