Question for paint and body pros...

filthymcnasty

Established Member
I need to get the roof fixed on my '03 Cobra.

Body man says that to do the job right, he would need to pop the front/rear windshields out to get underneath the rubber windshield trim pieces.

I'm not too cool with that because to reinstall the windshields, videos I've seen shown using a metal scraper to get the old adhesive off, leaving me wide open to rust if they don't get the reinstall primer in correctly. Not to mention the risk of breaking the stock windshields.

Isn't there a way to peel back the stock rubber trim (I understand the side sail panels will have to be removed and I'm good with that) so that they can work underneath this trim and then lay it back down when they are done? If they do pop the windshields out, don't they have to replace the rubber trim, which is discontinued from Ford?

Thanks in advance.

stang910

Established Member
If you want the best repair done then yes the glass should come out. Removing the glass might create other issues like you already mentioned. The rubber trim around the glass can be reused as long as it doesn't get damaged, but they do get damaged sometimes in which case they will probably use a universal rubber trim.

Honestly I would leave the glass in the car and use lift tape to pull the rubber away from the panel. It'll cost less money to do the repair and if the lift tape is used properly you won't be able to tell. If I remember correctly new edge's have a very stiff rubber around the glass which makes it hard to use lift tape, but not impossible. I repainted my 03 cobra and my 2011 and didn't pull the glass out of either. No way with even pulling the rubber back can you tell they've been painted and my 2011 was originally black.

filthymcnasty

Established Member
That's what I thought! Thanks man! Either way I'm inducing some sort of trauma to get a good fix completed, so I'm looking for the least complicated and still achieve a proper end result.

jbrown1238

Built on 4-7-03 @ 3:47:15
Established Member
I have done a few 03 and 04 Mustangs and have had good luck with shimming the rubber with 16 or 18 gauge wire. You really don't need much clearance to spray a little material under the seal.

VTGhost

Established Member
I know that I have very little activity on the forum so take my advice for what its worth. I have been an aircraft mechanic for 8 years and have replaced my fair share of windscreens, (I know we are not talking about aircraft) When it comes to doing any maintenance on my 03 cobra I have the same standards as I do working on Aircraft. So... I'm not trying to say the experienced guys on here are wrong but I personally would spend the extra money on my car to remove the windows. This isn't an easy car to replace, it is worth it. The only reason I say this is that its cheaper to do it right the first time then have to revisit fixing your roof years down the road. Unless you do not plan on keeping the car long term. Anyway good luck and I hope you get it all worked out!

Users who are viewing this thread