Question for the Computer gurus......

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
I just had my fiber optic internet service(Verizon) installed over the weekend and have a question.....
Verizon supplied a new wireless router that has a slower wireless speed than my old Lynksis router. I have two laptops that I use around the house on the wireless network. With the Lynksis, I was seeing 54mbps. With the new router, I'm only seeing 11mbps.
My question, can I hook my Lynksis router up to the newer unit and configure it to act as a wireless access point to take advantage of the faster speeds?

gump

aka jamz
Established Member
Call Verizon & ask them if Lynksis is compatibale with your new verizon internet service.

I'm with BellSouth & their customer service can help you easily with stuff like that. I myself dont have enough info on the Verizon to answer you.

http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm<~~ damn good info article, read it thru

If this doesnt answer your question, try majorgeeks.com, their help forums are damn good.

overkill91

I eat rice
Established Member
Are there any eithernet ports on either router? If so, just plug the linksys router in behind the new router. Set it up so that the lynksys thinks that your new router is the wan.
This should work without any problems. You can either shut off the wireless service on the new router or just encript it to hell and not use it.

Chris

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
overkill91 said:
Are there any eithernet ports on either router? If so, just plug the linksys router in behind the new router. Set it up so that the lynksys thinks that your new router is the wan.
This should work without any problems. You can either shut off the wireless service on the new router or just encript it to hell and not use it.

Chris

Yes, there are 4 ethernet ports on both routers. The impression I got from the tech who did the install was that my Lynksis Wireless G router will only work with Cable/DSL and not fiber optics. Of course, he had no clue if I could just hook the Lynksis into one of the FiOs ethernet ports.

I did just that, connected an ethernet cable from the "internet" port on the G router to an available port on the FiOs unit. It didn't work.

So, you're saying I need to set up the Lynksis to think the new router is the WAN?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
well.. unless your download speed is faster than 11 mpbs, you don't need to worry about connecting to the router faster than that (or if you have a server in your house that you connect to, that you need faster intranet speeds on)

Users who are viewing this thread