Question for the photoshoppers on SVTP

JADITO

Crazy Mofo
Established Member
Question for the photoshoppers on SVTP ((PICS INCLUDED))

I was searching on google for some photoshop tutorial on how to do a certain effect , but it seems its gonna take sometime b4 i find something.
The effect i wanna do , is to keep the main subject in color, wether its a car or person or whatever, and the background in black and white , or vice versa.
Another thing , is basically doing the same thing , but blurring the background instead of turning it black and white.
So , i was wondering if anyone could help me out , or provide a link to some useful tutorial.

here are some pictures if anyone didnt understand what i was talking about.
And to the original owners of the following pics, if you want me to take down ur pics , i will gladly do so.

black and white background with main subject in color
041no6.jpg

67qaczttu3.jpg

430scuderia1sh1dx1.jpg

focused main subject but blurry background done with ps
63editjw9xj2.jpg

32211gt3.jpg

Last edited:

4OCIUS4V

BOOST Junkie!!!!
Established Member
You need to take a lasso tool. Trace around the item you want to stay in color. Then copy and paste a new layer with just the selected item. Go back to the background picture and take a black airbrush and select Hue from the mode drop down box. Airbrush the entire background and it will become b&w. Then you can adjust the brightness and contrast if you want.

JADITO

Crazy Mofo
Established Member
You need to take a lasso tool. Trace around the item you want to stay in color. Then copy and paste a new layer with just the selected item. Go back to the background picture and take a black airbrush and select Hue from the mode drop down box. Airbrush the entire background and it will become b&w. Then you can adjust the brightness and contrast if you want.

ok , about the lasso tool, whats the best way to use it??
with the magnetic lasso , sometimes it traces bigger than what i need, and with the polygonal lasso , its just to straight.

Ur help is appreciated! thanks

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
You could also make copy of the picture as a new layer, desature the new layer, and erase the portions of it that you want to be color. This will cause the color portion of the background layer to show through onto the desatured layer.

4OCIUS4V

BOOST Junkie!!!!
Established Member
To do blur. Do the same as above but instead of airbrush, select the filter tab up top, go to blur and select motion blur, and drop it down to 3-5 pixels.

lxfiveoh

Established Member
It's pretty simple. Open the image you want to work with, ctrl-a > lasso tool + subtract from selection(select what you want to stay in color) > file+image+adjustments > desaturate.

iicrazy

Established Member
I did mine by tracing around the car and inversing the selection copying the background and pasting it into a new layer, then you can do what you want with it.

B&W I adjust the HUE & SATURATION

anything else just fool around with the effects

example of my car done up

BW.jpg

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
I was searching on google for some photoshop tutorial on how to do a certain effect , but it seems its gonna take sometime b4 i find something.
The effect i wanna do , is to keep the main subject in color, wether its a car or person or whatever, and the background in black and white , or vice versa.
Another thing , is basically doing the same thing , but blurring the background instead of turning it black and white.
So , i was wondering if anyone could help me out , or provide a link to some useful tutorial.

focused main subject but blurry background done with ps
63editjw9xj2.jpg

Here is a tutorial that will help you with the blurred look. It's from the book "How to Wow: Photoshop for Photography".

86rxj53.jpg

8ebmdg6.jpg

JADITO

Crazy Mofo
Established Member
i wanna thank everyone for taking time to help me out.
im gonna post the pics to show u what i've done so far.

JADITO

Crazy Mofo
Established Member
well , here are 2 pics.
ones the original and the second , as u can guess is the altered one.
the reason why i wanted to do that , is to showcase the color of the car. I played around with brightness/contrast and hue/saturation to make it look like it did in real life. That was the first time i had seen that color, and i work on these machines all day long.
Once again thanks for the help!

bluecarrerasoriginalef6.jpg

bluecarreraspy0.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread