Question for the Raptor bro’s

Morgan

Established Member
Looking at a 2018 with 3.0 Kings and Deavers.
The fronts are internal bypass, but the rears are external. Billet upper control arms.

Curious to hear your opinions on this set-up as a daily. I’m thinking it will ride like a marshmallow(?), but NVH from the control arms and rear bypasses might get old real quick.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The Kings can be adjusted, so the way it rides is up to you. The radio covers the clicks. Which uppers? Does it have a LCA lockout kit/pocket support?

I have a 2018 with Fox 3.0 Race series (more or less the same as your setup), and Deaver +3HD. Rides super smooth and very planted. This is my semi-daily, I only get like 11.2mpg and that shit is annoying. Other than that I love it as a daily.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
The Kings can be adjusted, so the way it rides is up to you. The radio covers the clicks. Which uppers? Does it have a LCA lockout kit/pocket support?

I have a 2018 with Fox 3.0 Race series (more or less the same as your setup), and Deaver +3HD. Rides super smooth and very planted. This is my semi-daily, I only get like 11.2mpg and that shit is annoying. Other than that I love it as a daily.

How do you get worse MPG than my 7.3L Tremor? I get 12.3 MPG daily use. You must have a lot of stop and go driving.

Morgan

Established Member

RPG uppers and Krazy House LCA support. He tells me the control arms are locked out. Deaver +3s.

You must be running 37s? This truck has 37s too. That mileage is shit.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
How do you get worse MPG than my 7.3L Tremor? I get 12.3 MPG daily use. You must have a lot of stop and go driving.
Nope, just a really heavy foot and a bed rack setup that isn’t very aerodynamic.
RPG uppers and Krazy House LCA support. He tells me the control arms are locked out. Deaver +3s.

You must be running 37s? This truck has 37s too. That mileage is shit.

I wonder if it’s stage 1 or 2 on the KHC. Either way, that is a pretty solid setup and what I would go with. I would do uppers, but I don’t want to get new wheels.

No, I’m on 35’s, don’t want to deal with all the shit 37’s require/do to the truck.

Morgan

Established Member
Nope, just a really heavy foot and a bed rack setup that isn’t very aerodynamic.

I wonder if it’s stage 1 or 2 on the KHC. Either way, that is a pretty solid setup and what I would go with. I would do uppers, but I don’t want to get new wheels.

No, I’m on 35’s, don’t want to deal with all the shit 37’s require/do to the truck.
Why is your mileage so low?

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Why is your mileage so low?
A446C960-3AB1-4001-8F6E-B26468021F0F.jpeg
That has a little to do with it. And I’m usually cruising between 85-95:ROFLMAO: plus there is no such thing as half throttle only WOT.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You need a deeper garage.
There is about 6” between the bumper and garage door where it sits in that pic and maybe an inch between the rear bumper and box. But yeah, these MF’ers don’t like to build actual garages here in San Antonio. My house in AZ fit my Chevy 2500 extended cab and long bed with room to walk around it.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
He's honest. Very few folks tell the truth about how poorly mpg can be on full size trucks.

"I get 14mpg towing 15000 lbs at 75 on the highway!" Riiiiiiiiiiight.
When I read stuff like that I just think “the ****, how?” When my shit was stock I think I was around 14.5. Taking the rake out of the stance absolutely floored my mpgs. It is pretty crazy what a few mph can do to mpg. IIRC I was getting 12.4mpg at 83mph going from SA to El Paso, dropped it down to 80mph and it went up to 14.3mpg. That would have been closer to 19mpg stock at 80mph

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
When I read stuff like that I just think “the ****, how?” When my shit was stock I think I was around 14.5. Taking the rake out of the stance absolutely floored my mpgs. It is pretty crazy what a few mph can do to mpg. IIRC I was getting 12.4mpg at 83mph going from SA to El Paso, dropped it down to 80mph and it went up to 14.3mpg. That would have been closer to 19mpg stock at 80mph

Yep... and big tires are absolutely a mpg killer. To make it worse, unless you flash the ecm to compensate for tire size, the mpg readout will be even further off than it was stock.

My diesel one ton truck is lucky to break 9mpg towing 14k lbs at 65-70 mph... and that's with stock tires and stock suspension. It is what it is.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
@ssj4sadie answered it, but yea most 3.0's are adjustable so you can dial the suspension how you want it to be. I have Fox 3.0's and while they are noisier over stock over minor bumps it's not that annoying. Type of tire may bother you more(aggressive M/Ts make some noise) more than any suspension clicking.

Think you'll be fine as a daily. Just remember these offroad shocks need Maintenace every 30-50k miles*. Maybe could cheat the length if it's a purely daily driver but they are $5-6k shocks. Don't ruin them over a $1k rebuild.

*Fox recommendation.

37's are killers for mileage. Not the reason I'm still on 35's, just too lazy to cut the pinch welds.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep... and big tires are absolutely a mpg killer. To make it worse, unless you flash the ecm to compensate for tire size, the mpg readout will be even further off than it was stock.

My diesel one ton truck is lucky to break 9mpg towing 14k lbs at 65-70 mph... and that's with stock tires and stock suspension. It is what it is.

I get 10.1 mpgs in my dually...with 20"s and 35" tires pulling about 9500lbs at 80-85mph.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You trust the dash readout?

Nope. That's hand calculated.

The dash is always crazy off. I haven't quite figured it out on how it calculates. Sometimes it's low, sometimes it's high. Doesn't make any sense to me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope. That's hand calculated.

The dash is always crazy off. I haven't quite figured it out on how it calculates. Sometimes it's low, sometimes it's high. Doesn't make any sense to me.

My dash is usually about .5 mpg favorable. I always hand calc too.

Users who are viewing this thread