Question of the day

oilwell1415

Established Member
I haven't seen a science question of the day for a few days, so here's an aviation question of the day:

The B-17 bomber does not have reversible pitch propellors, but it is still possible for the pilot to back it into a parking space from the cockpit unassisted. How is this done?

greyrob

The Grey Stang
Established Member
i have a yamaha 200 4-stroke that can run backwards

** i sure you were waiting for that one ***

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
park facing uphill? lol

or a thrust deflector/reversor within the nacelle

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
park facing uphill? lol

This is about all I can think of as well. Kinda similar to a jet ski that can go in reverse due to a contoured "shield" that causes the water being propelled by the impeller to do a 180 degree turn.

Ironhand

Banned
I know that the B-17s Wright Cyclones have varible pitch propellers and it may be enough to back the plane up.

oilwell1415

Established Member
i have a yamaha 200 4-stroke that can run backwards

** i sure you were waiting for that one ***

The quad can move backward, the engine can't run backwards

park facing uphill? lol

No...

who cares?

Who cares about any of these questions? They still get asked and are still fun and educational.

This is about all I can think of as well. Kinda similar to a jet ski that can go in reverse due to a contoured "shield" that causes the water being propelled by the impeller to do a 180 degree turn.

Still no

I know that the B-17s Wright Cyclones have varible pitch propellers and it may be enough to back the plane up.

They are variable pitch (i.e. constant speed), but they are not reversible.

Here's a pic that might help if you stare at it long enough:

b-17preflight.gif

Last edited:

cobra_matt

Established Member
Does it have to do with alternating the engines that are running? Such as running engine #1 while all others are off, blocking off the tires on the side that engine #1 is on, and doing the opposite of this. I would guess that this causes the opposite side that the engine is running to back up and you would alternate this so the entire plane backs up.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Does it have to do with alternating the engines that are running? Such as running engine #1 while all others are off, blocking off the tires on the side that engine #1 is on, and doing the opposite of this. I would guess that this causes the opposite side that the engine is running to back up and you would alternate this so the entire plane backs up.

Close enough. The landing gear is mounted on the inboard engine nacelles. By applying brake to one wheel and adding power to the engine outside it you can make the opposite side of the plane move baskwards. Alternating side to side results in the plane backing up.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Yes! I get it now. Good question. I take my statement back about not caring. I do care. In fact ive been googling all morning.

Users who are viewing this thread